Broke down

Moderator: Moderators

hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Broke down

Post by hciR »

Hi all, haven't been on here in a while sorry!I was out on the bike yesterday in the hot weather and broke down. I'm pretty sure it was the heat that did it because i was filtering in traffic for a long time so not much airflow into the rad. I started getting a tapping noise when accelerating from low revs, then it died a few times when i stopped but I managed to get it going, then eventually it just conked out and wouldn't start again. It would fire up briefly if I gave it a load of choke. So it was a long, hot push home :smt009
I think whatever it is, it sounds quite bad because i've heard tapping noises are a bad thing on these bikes. I will stick the battery on charge and see if I have any luck after that, but my hopes aren't high. What's the most likely cause?
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Re: Broke down

Post by rover220 »

i broke down today, fucking carbs pissing out the overflow. had to push the fucker the rest of the way to work
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Yea you don't realise how heavy they are until you gotta push 'em!
I've now found that the bike is running only on 2 cylinders but I can't do a compression test because my tester doesn't fit the tiny threads these plugs have :smt013 and now I have ran the battery out ... again, trying to start it.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Seem to have fixed it now, the compressoin is ok and its firing on all 4 biggrin I just changed the plugs and it fired up! Gotta be a bit cautious though 'cos we originally thought the head gasket had gone as there was a bit of smoke and the bottom of the rad wasn't that hot, so i'm gonna use it locally and keep an eye on the coolant level. The tapping I heard before I broke down was pinking apparently, so I don't think it done any damage.
parby81
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L9

Post by parby81 »

I'd check the thermostat with regards to the radiator. Far simpler than immediately going for the HG
These things are sent to try us!!
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Famous last words. Pretty sure it is the HG now. I left it for a few days then it wouldn't start like before, so I took the plugs out and tapped the starter and coolent shot out the cylinders:( has anyone done a tutorial on how to do the HG?
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

no but you can and the manuals are here to guide you :smt003
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by hciR »

Well i'm getting there, got the engine out but not taken it apart yet. I just had a thought though, when the bike was running there would be a very rough noise coming from somewhere when accelerating below about 3k (without using any clutch) is this normal? I know the clutches are naturally noisey but this was something you could feel as well.