Bike won't run

Moderator: Moderators

spoonaltap

Bike won't run

Post by spoonaltap »

Hey sorry if this has been asked before I had a quick look a couple of months back but couldn't find an answer and as it was winter I just left it but it running so I can get out on my bike. Anyway it just isn't running right, I have to have the choke out fully and have to turn it over for ages for it to even start to cough then when it does start literally as soon as I touch the throttle it dies. It won't run even if I leave it with the choke out it will just splutter and die after a while.

When I got it I hadn't passed my test so it didn't get a proper workout for 3 or 4 mionths but I started it regulary, once I started taking it out every time it took longer and longer for it to start. Maybe it was becasue it was getting colder? One time I got it out and took ages to start but once it did it was fine and it took it on a quick run but not far maybe 6 miles each ways, got it back and parked it up. Next time I came to take it out I couldn't get the bloody thing to run right and that was about october november.

Has anyone got any idea what could cause this? I've got new spark plugs for it but don't know what needs to be done to get access to the engine. Will get new leads for it aswell but surely it's a fueling problem?

Please help I really want to ride again lol.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Re: Bike won't run

Post by lewisdale »

hi mate i would replace the plugs, take the tank off and you should see where they are, would also drain the tank and put fresh petrol in it,as if u havent used it for a while and its been standing could also have water in there!! and clean the carbs, if you dont really know what youre doing with the carbs then first of all try redex in the petrol, do all of these things and im sure it will be running fine,if not then you should strip the carbs and clean them, also replace the fuel filter whle youre there, and if it doesnt have one just go to any car spares place and buy an inline one
Davw
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr400 track, vfr800 road

Post by Davw »

wots the battery like? If it hasnt run for a while it may not be up to scratch for a cold start. Id change the fuel and check the battery on a multimeter for a start

A quick check of the battery would be to try jump leads off a car battery - see if it starts off that - just because it turns over doesnt necessarily mean there is enough juice in the battery to start the bike from cold

good luck
Fatspanner Racing/[/size][/color]
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

as said above, sparks could be fouled if the batterys not powerful enough to fire it up, especially with lots of starts and no running.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
spoonaltap

Post by spoonaltap »

New plugs, new fuel and some redex with a charged battery and it fires into life biggrin too bad the MOT just ran out :( oh well atleast it seems to be running now. Still has a problem if I flick open the throttle the engine dies but hopefully after I take it for a run it will sort itself out, just need to be gentle with the throttle.
lewisdale
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: zxr400 H2

Post by lewisdale »

yer sounds like crap in ther carbs, a good thrash and some redex will hopefully clear it
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

spoonaltap wrote:New plugs, new fuel and some redex with a charged battery and it fires into life biggrin too bad the MOT just ran out :( oh well atleast it seems to be running now. Still has a problem if I flick open the throttle the engine dies but hopefully after I take it for a run it will sort itself out, just need to be gentle with the throttle.
Gotta love the stuff! :smt001