Starter switch or solenoid?

Moderator: Moderators

Kirky Boy
My Bike: L4 ZXR400 RACER

Starter switch or solenoid?

Post by Kirky Boy »

Hi, when i push the start button i can hear a buzzing coming from the black box under my seat, think it's a solenoid. Sometimes it works, some times it doesn't.
Also, when i hold the button in for a bit cause the bike not being started in a while, the starter motor would be going, the bikes nearly firing up, then nothing, total silence. then.......that buzzing noise again.
Would this be the starter switch thats playing up or the solenoid(if thats what it is) or both? :smt017

Cheers!
stug
My Bike: Yamaha R1

Re: Starter switch or solenoid?

Post by stug »

How is your battery?
If your battery does not have much of a charge in it sometimes all you will get is a click or a buzzing from the solenoid.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

stug wrote:How is your battery?
If your battery does not have much of a charge in it sometimes all you will get is a click or a buzzing from the solenoid.
exactly what he said, give the battery a good charge and that should sort it. Failing that your battery could be shot, might be time for a new one.
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

deffo sounds like the battery is shagged mate
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Kirky Boy
My Bike: L4 ZXR400 RACER

Post by Kirky Boy »

Thanks for the replies, but the battery was new about a year ago. The battery doesn't dye out, it constantly gives good power to the starter motor?
raul
My Bike: zxr400

Post by raul »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8239
check this thread mate , i had similar problem and it was the starter switch ; besides if your solenoid works you should hear it when you put the ignition on, and again when you switch the ignition off ; i would open the switch gear , clean and grease the components in the starter switch
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

I had this problem today, the starter switch was very intermittent, sometime it would work sometimes it wouldnt. It lost me as to why it would turn. The buzzing i could hear from the starter was very very feint. Got the switchgear apart and the contacts had a small black spot where they would connect and the rest of it just generally dull in colour. Cleaned the contacts but still no joy, cleaned the spring and now all works a treat! Also sprayed a bit of WD40 in to keep any water out n hopefully stop any further corrosion.