ZXR400 sitting idle for 7 years/problems?

Moderator: Moderators

Wraith Overlord
My Bike: tomos moped

ZXR400 sitting idle for 7 years/problems?

Post by Wraith Overlord »

Hello i am new to these forums so fingers crossed i have posted this in the correct section.

I have recently come accross a 1999 ZXR400 which has been sitting at the back of a guys garage after he had a low speed spill and has been too scared to ride it since.

I am intrested in buying it as its in imaculate condtion, but before i take tke the plunge and hand over my hard earned cash what should i be looking out for and what potential problems can i expect from a bike that hasnt started for 7 years.

I know tha carbs are going to be the biggest expense from what i have been told so far.

Scott
Wraith Overlord

Re: ZXR400 sitting idle for 7 years/problems?

viewtopic.php?f=167&t=6042

just found this link to another user with a similar problem.

what sort of cost would i be lookingat to get it back on the road and is it worth it?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

mostly the engines are bullet-proof, change of fluids/filters/plugs and a check of the valve clearances and she'll most likely be fine...

carbs will want a clean as mentioned, and probably some new o-rings..

biggest expense wil be tyres, chain, sprockets, brake pads etc which will all need changing after a 7 year lay up.

say about £400 all in to get back on the road as long as there's no nasty surprises.

L9's hold their value well for some reason, so if the bike's cheap enough its worth it ... :smt017

oh, the exhaust may well be rotten, if so you'll be looking at another £150 ish for a 2nd hand stainless system.
Wraith Overlord

exhaust is a nice carbon fibre one so should be fine.

400 pounds is cheap enough the only thing i am unable to do is the carbs.

also what are the chances of the engine being seized up?

the asking price is £950 with only 6k miles on the clock
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

The can might be fine, but the downpipes could well be rotten. Thats not a bad price at all really. Engine wont be seized , mine was sat for 2 years unstarted, although it took a while to fire up, it did turn. Well worth putting a tiny drop of oil in the bores when you come to start it to ad a bit of lubrication too.