Tools

Moderator: Moderators

jonny
My Bike: zxr400 L2

Tools

Post by jonny »

hi all,

Started doing few jobs on my bike, oil changes, chain and sprocket change (with help from a mate and also borrowing the majority of his tools!) and now i think its time to start building up my own tool kit. Unfortunately I cant afford a massive range of tools straight off but was just wondering what people suggest would be best to get first? I was thinking maybe a decent socket set and a torque wrench!?! Also where do people get their tools from? Had a quick look in halfords, I think their stuff will be more than adequate for my novice needs plus I cant afford snap on just yet vsad . Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers, Jon
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Tools

Post by RedexRobB »

I bought a fairly comprehensive tool set from halfords last year as my Argos set was on its way out after about 8 years of use.. Has socket bits, spanners, hand tools and screw driver set, 230 odd pieces if iirc, was haf price at the time.

ooooo just found it, seems they have it on offer again!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165572

That set alone will see you with almost everything you need to work on a the ZXR. I think the spanner set could be a bit better but a small spanner set isnt much.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Thanks a lot that was one of the sets I was looking at. Think I will try and pick one up tomorrow!
jonny

Post by jonny »

Just one more stupid question... which torque wrench you think would be best? Even after only a few jobs I have realised I am over tightening bolts. Very annoying when it snaps off!!!!
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 1&x=23&y=7
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

well, you will probably use a torque wrench alot less than you think unless your going to do each and every bolt up according to the manual. Personally ive only used one a handful of times and that was when i was doing important bolts up like the swingarm and shock linkages.

Looking at those they are alot of money, personally id put the money towards tools youll use or what doesnt come with that set, like a hammer for example. Or maybe even carb balancers.

Decision is yours ultimately.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Yer thats a fair point maybe ill ask santa for one!!! Cheers for the advice!
zxr400rider
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr400 h1

Post by zxr400rider »

if your after a cheap torque wrench look in machine mart, i got mine from there when i had to do the headgasket on my mondeo, more than upto thw job, cost around the 20quid mark aswell :excited
ZXR400 H1 gsxr600 srad rear shock, h2 front forks, delkevic downpipes, art end can,110 mainjets, braided brake lines, L model single seat, led rear light and LOTS of fun