MOT advisorys and clutch plate refit

Moderator: Moderators

deebow1985
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 H

MOT advisorys and clutch plate refit

Post by deebow1985 »

Hi ive bought a zxr 400 h model and just passed my test i took it for the mot and it passed but with a few advisorys unfortunatly the guy wasnt around when i picked the bike up to talk me threw the advisorys so i dont know how much its gonna cost to sort them out or if there easy to sort out, the advisorys where

Front tyre worn close to legal limit (new tyre simple).

Nearside/offside front shock absorber has light misting of stanchion (this has lost me any ideas how i can sort it or do i have to buy new forks :smt013).

Rear wheel bearings have slight free play (again can this be fixed or is something needed to be bought).

Front fairing loose (i left side fairings off due to waiting on new fairing bolts)

coolant leak (is this a major problem if theres a leak ?)

Also when i bought the bike it was overheating and with a struggle i finally found where to fill the radiator up and replaced the fans thermostat as it was corroded, great fan kicked in when it got warm now and when i was bringing it back from its MOT yesterday it was getting hot and the fan wasnt kicking in, drained water from radiator and wasnt much in at all so im guessing this is why the fan wasnt starting up, when i filled it up i did it right to the top and it was only 2 months ago without been ridden just started regually so i dont know where the water has gone or is this the coolant leak listed in the advisory above ?.

When i bought the bike it came with a new clutch plate set and some new oil seals are these a job that can be done by a newbie ? or are they a technical job.

I also plan on replacing the engine oil, oil filter and put some new spark plugs on her, does anyone know what sort of oil i will need and how much for the kawasaki zxr H model 1990 ?.

one last thing it also needs a new rear hugger and left side foot hanger but im really struggling to find any of these for the H model does anybody know the best place to look other than ebay thanks

p.s im sorry for babbling on and sorry if this has been listed before, and if ive posted in the wrong catergory.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jordan
extonyg
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400 L1 uk

Re: MOT advisorys and clutch plate refit

Post by extonyg »

'Nearside/offside front shock absorber has light misting on stanchion' this just means the fork seals are starting to leak, you dont need new forks just new seals, probably not a job for a 'newbie' but only one way to learn i supose
'Rear wheel bearings have slight free play' you could try repacking the bearings with grease but better just to get new ones really
and coolant leak well where is it leaking from?this needs to be sorted if it keeps loosing all the water as this could be your overheating problem.
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

Thanks for the reply extonyg, are they tricky to replace or just a matter of patience could save a few ££££ if i try myself ill look for a manual, where will the best places be to look for the leak any obvious place ? cheers m8
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

yes it will be obvious cos there will be coolant leaking.
deebow1985

Post by deebow1985 »

ok ill fill her up tomorow and see if its leaking anywhere, do you have any idea about the clutch plate or should i leave that to the pros cheers