new head gasket got problems

Moderator: Moderators

deebow1985
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 H

new head gasket got problems

Post by deebow1985 »

hi cargo i found the manual on here and was using it although when reading it it sounds more difficult than doing it anyways ive successfully put the engine back toghether (well sort of lol)

ok i dropped the oil and replaced the clutch plates, first releasing the the locking nuts under the cam chain tensioner and slipping the cable out of the realease leaver under the clutch case, took the clutch case off on took the plates out soaked the new ones and put them in great,

next i stripped down the cooling system all seemed ok apart from the expansion bottle and rad cap bottle doesnt leak but has seen better days the rad cap has a split in the rubber replacements for each of these are on the way

then i stripped the engine down rocker cover, and so on realeasing the bolts in sequence as shown in the manual, and when i was lifting the head off the block underneath came as well (i did this on my own as my m8 were busy) so anyways once it started coming i took it off and the pistons where out at this point i toad myself, so i cracked on and replaced the base plate put oil in the bores (i think thats what there called) squeezed the piston rings in and put the block back on a little bit of a struggle and carried on, with the head and gasket put cam chain on putting the marks in the right place, replaced trhe spark plugs and put rocker cover on and connected her up :excited

after 3 fags i got the courage to fire her up (i put oil and water in her first 3 litres of oil as i replaced the oil filter)
she struggled to fire up think it was due to having no petrol in a while so gave it a bit and tried it again and she fired but kept cutting out, after a few attempts of trying she fired up, but now the problems started :smt011 first was a coolant leak i forgot to tighten the jubilee clip 2 mins n jobs a good one that is the only one i forgot to tighten i promise, second the choke was really tight so i knocked her off and tried adjusting it taking off the tank, but this didnt make it anyt better i was having trouble with my choke prior to doing the work, i would pull it on and it would just pull its self off now it only works if i pull it really tight and keep hold off it annoying when youve got to wait holding it, and last problem when its stood still when i would pull either brake in the head lights would flash wtf is that all about ? ive nnever noticed it do that before but i havent touched no electrics maybe its when i had the mot done cos something was wrong with a light they said it doesnt do it when the lights are on though.

so anyways i managed to get her warm enough to tick over ok and took her for a little ride she drove alright didnt want to open her up for a while yet because of the new oil and stuff, anyways the oil light went out and going up and down the gears was good up until i stopped she struggled to go into neutral when i got the petrol station i had to knock her off then she would go into neutral, plus when its in first and your at lights i can feel her pulling forward a little over than these she seemed ok to me until i got to my m8s house, he started saying he could hear a clicking and that it could be a piston ring gone asking if i lined them up or something noooooo, there is a little click but sounds more like the cam chain to me or is that just wishfull thinking lol, is there a way i can find out a ring has gone without taking her apart ? i thought youd hear a scratching or something.

im guessing with the clutch struggling to go into neutral ive tightened the 4 bolts inside the clutch too tight as i didnt have a torque wrench at this point on everything else i used one and done them up to the correct torque, could this be why its doing it ?, or do i need to adjust something else ?

also when its ticking over it jumps a little it is a little too but you can see the lights flicker a little when it does it is this a concern ?

hope this makes sense and sorry for babbling on and thanks for any help
ps cargo thanks for the thermostat tip i tried it and it worked ok i came across that bit in the book to thanks
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: new head gasket got problems

Post by RedexRobB »

I think well a done is in order!

Have you adjusted the clutch cable? New plates will change the biting point, but sounds like the clutch is dragging, hence the pulling at the lights and having trouble getting into neutral. So perhaps you need to take some slack out of the cable to disengage the clutch more?? You should have about 3 or 4 mm of play at the clutch lever pivot.

As for your ticking i dont know, does it actually sound different to before? do you know where its coming from? When rings have gone the sound is pretty loud from what ive heard before. Remember, even good ZXR engines are noisy.

With your lights flickering, mine are slightly dim on tickover then brighten when you rev the motor. God knows why the head light does what it does with the brakes tho. Id say check the connector blocks are clean and the wiring isnt chaffed n touching anything metal or other wires.

Your choke sounds like the screws for the slider plate on the carbs are loose or need tightening.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I'd largely agree with rob

the choke problem could just be a problem with how you have routed the cable
Clutch sounds like it is dragging could just need the cable adjusted could also be that you have not fitted the last fibre plate correctly.............look at the manual.
And /or the pressure plate needs to go in a particular way if memory serves me right

The ticking noise is harder to figure out from here...................... could be a valve clearance issue
deebow1985
My Bike: kawasaki zxr 400 H

Post by deebow1985 »

hi rob n cargo, hope you had a good holiday rob, ive been away myself so i hadnt posted on ive adjusted the clutch and sorted the choke out now, chokes ok but the clutch still struggles for neutral and sometimes doesnt go into gear as easy as it does others so maybe a matter of setting it right it doesnt pull at the lights no more either, i havent looked into the lights issue yet hopefully get around to doing it some time this week, also the last clutch plate was put in right it has the groves different to the other 5, the only problem i did find was it was making a noise it sounded to me like the cam chain was rubbing against something i dont know whether its the guide that goes down the front of it or should this be no where near the guide ?
does anyone know where the best place is to get a front tyre ? oh n thanks for all your help rob i probaly wouldnt of tried it if youd have put me off but your help was great cheers m8
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

Yes you are correct the last friction plate does go in to a different slot on the basket
But the pressure plate or spring plate has a particular way of fitting to if you look on page 5-7 of the H model manual you'll see it there are marks to line up.

Dont worry H and L are the same

I'll leave wiring issues with lights to those who know more about such things................