Essential Tools for your ZXR

Moderator: Moderators

phillivelyzxr
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR 400 L9

Essential Tools for your ZXR

Post by phillivelyzxr »

How about posting the tools that you have found essential for working on your ZXR.
Say what revision of ZXR you have, what you use the tool for, where you got it and how much it cost.
It could be anything... a large socket for wheel spindles, a paddock stand, carb balancing kit, anything!
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Re: Essential Tools for your ZXR

Post by Ewetea »

A very substantial vice, securely mounted. Essential for yanking forks apart; wriggling pistons out of calipers; holding items for drilling, wire-brushing, loosening fasteners etc. etc.
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

IMG_1578.JPG
:pmsl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Post by GibboN »

Wouldn't get far without those!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

blowtorch, dremel, hammer, small chisel, wd-40 and drill, these are old bikes that alot havent been looked after so stuff is seized, that will get pretty much anything off, and also soldering iron, solder and flux, get proper plumbers flux as it makes soldering alot easier as it properly cleans the old wires. might do a video on how to solder properly...
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Plastic lidded Chinese takeaway cartons, handy overnight WD40 baths, clean the bloody things first though.
Chilled music too, for when tempers start to fray, a little Metal if all's going well.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
Vaughn
My Bike: Zxr400

Post by Vaughn »

at least 1 good set of sockets and spanners, preferably a full set of 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2
screwdrivers of different sizes
Hex Allen key socket set
Inspection mirror on a telescopic stick
Magnet on a telescopic stick
Compressor and air tools would be handy
Hammers
Torque wrench
Cable ties
Duct tape and electrical tape
Multimeter
Electrical test probe
Feeler guages
Vernier caliper
Micrometer
Impact driver (not needed it yet but she's ready and waiting)
Cordless drill and drill bits
Welder + angle grinder
Tin snips
Soldering iron
Dremmel
Sonification bath
A head lamp (for your head not for the bike)
Tap and die set
Bearing driver set
A bearing puller set wouldn't go unused
Needle nose pliers and different sorts of side cutters and things
Carb balancer
Paddock stands
Buckets for draining oil and water
Stud remover
To name a few, oh and
Brake bleed kit consisting of a coke bottle with a bit of silicon hose drilled into the lid
Gonna get myself one of those angled carb adjustment tools for adjusting when the tank is on.
That's all I can think that I've needed so far
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

Vaughn wrote:That's all I can think that I've needed so far
You missed something Vaughn, a fookin large wallet :pmsl

Nobody has stated the really obvious yet, the toolkit on the bike, he says smugly, mine came with all, unused and shiney new.
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

KwakKwak wrote:
Vaughn wrote:That's all I can think that I've needed so far
You missed something Vaughn, a fookin large wallet :pmsl

Nobody has stated the really obvious yet, the toolkit on the bike, he says smugly, mine came with all, unused and shiney new.
Yeah your right there lol, most of my tools I've collected over the course of about 15 years though so not too bad, although there has been a few bits and pieces I've been buying over the last couple of weeks and yes a really big wallet would come in handy right about now.
So any donations send to my PayPal vaughn@send_me_all_your_money.co.uk (not really my PayPal so don't send money, pm me and I'll tell you the real one ;-)
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

the amount of help youve got of here vaughn, you should be sending US money! :pmsl
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

the problem i've found with the zxr isn't that it is a bad bike, it's just people not looking after them. It drives me insane, i got my bike and it just kept dying and every time the problem was someone had half arsed a job. Was on the phone to Banner yesterday and he was pissing himself at me ranting about people using crimp connectors instead of soldering. straight crimp connectors are a get you home fix or a lazy fix, there is no place you should find a crimp connector other than on connections. i have actually done a video on how to solder properly because it pisses me of so much to have to take a bike apart because it wont start and the problem is a crimp connector that's failed or gone funny because they havent even waterproofed it. i spent about 3 days on my loom taking all the crimp connectors and bodge jobs out and doing it properly. Its on my list to do to get it back out and make sure its ok and use the correct wrap for the loom (add that to your list). So i think what we can gather from my rant is that you also need a toad load of patience!!!
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

the problem i've found with the zxr isn't that it is a bad bike, it's just people not looking after them. It drives me insane, i got my bike and it just kept dying and every time the problem was someone had half arsed a job. Was on the phone to Banner yesterday and he was pissing himself at me ranting about people using crimp connectors instead of soldering. straight crimp connectors are a get you home fix or a lazy fix, there is no place you should find a crimp connector other than on connections. i have actually done a video on how to solder properly because it pisses me of so much to have to take a bike apart because it wont start and the problem is a crimp connector that's failed or gone funny because they havent even waterproofed it. i spent about 3 days on my loom taking all the crimp connectors and bodge jobs out and doing it properly. Its on my list to do to get it back out and make sure its ok and use the correct wrap for the loom (add that to your list). So i think what we can gather from my rant is that you also need a toad load of patience!!!
Vaughn

Post by Vaughn »

Heat shrink tubing is good as well, just slot a bit on the wire before you do the soldering when your done heat the tube over the join, job done nicely sealed join
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

These have saved my skin a few times, rebuilding my old AR80, work a treat, fortunately not required for the L9 yet, but someday,,,,,,,,,
IMG_1579.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted

Post by ross46 »

Who changed my post?! You dont need a toad load you need a S#%T load, also you need a big bottle of swarfegga to get all the toad of your hands