compression testers

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

compression testers

Post by Miles »

Hello folks, clearing out my tool box and spotted my gunson compression tester. This thing gave me all sorts of problems a few years back as it read very low compression dispute fitting new rings, skimming the head, bores measured and honed, new gaskets, shims checked, relapping the valve seats and resetting the timing several times by different people to make sure it wasn't just me :smt013

It actually turned out to be the tester was only catching on the top threads of the sparkplug hole therefore giving to much of a gap. My mechanic ended up making a tapered adaptor for it. It then read a healthy range of 115-125 on the cylinders.

Just wondering what compression testers other people use and if anyone else has a gunson compression tester and if they have experienced the same issues?
Last edited by Miles on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: compression testers

Post by cargo »

Carbtune pro is used for balancing carbs Miles has inquired about compression testers....................something entirely different as any scientist should know.

Miles if you do want a Carbtune Pro you can pick one up in Townsend Street Belfast...........form the man himself and save on postage
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: compression testers

Post by banner001 »

my mistake, the brain doesnt work so well in the mornings after only 3 hours sleep, and an annoying cold.

my compression tester is a franklin compression tester, never had any problems with it sealing, i only tighten it by hand just to nip the rubber o-ring.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003