Whilst im at it, what else can i/should i do?

Moderator: Moderators

Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Whilst im at it, what else can i/should i do?

Post by Bestie »

Alrighty there

well i hope you had a top chrimbo and santa was generous to you all, and your also ready for this evenings shenanigans...i thought i would ask something of you all before the new year.

ive been reading the FAQ's and problem section cos at this time of year, most of us are stripping down the bikes and laying em up for winter.

Now, my bike is an L9, 2000 reg with just under 12k on the clock.

so far i have all the fairings off, tank off, air box off, and have done the following;

1 - remove brakes and clean em
2 - change of spark plugs
3 - oil and filter change
4 - fuel stabiliser added & float bowls drained
5 - chain cleaned and lubed
6 - farings been washed in the tub, waxed and polished
7 - bike cleaned prior to all this
8 - everything covered in ACF50
9 - battery on trickle

TO DO

1 - complete brake fluid flush and change (small deposits in res you see!)
2 - coolant flush and change

NOW!

what else is worth doing at this point? i was thinking of getting the needed kit and balancing/cleaning the carbs, but what about things like fuel filter, removal of wheels and check bearings, removing discs etc?

Basically, as i cant afford another bike (gsxr750) i am keeping the zed and want to get her back to as near damit perfect condition so whatever i can do i will. I reckon a sort of check list might be an idea, no real explanmation as most of it has been asked already and is in the manuals., but as a sort of supplement to storing your bike over winter

oh, and any tips on removing the front fender, i ant losen ANY of the posi drive screws holding it in place!

cheers, please add to this, might be useful in the future!

Bestie
happy new year to you all
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Whilst im at it, what else can i/should i do?

Post by RedexRobB »

You can give the wheel bearings a check i guess, they arent that expensive so might be worth changing them anyways?

Get the swing arm off and stick fresh grease on the bearings and linkages, youll need moly grease for the roller bearing inside the swing arm and linkages. Same for the headstock bearings, get them out and bung some fresh grease on them :)

When you clean the brakes up, cover the pistons in rubber grease, it will protect the pistons from corrosion and should stop them from seizing up!

cant think of much else at the moment, maybe give the top end a going over, check the clearances etc..
Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bestie »

thanks rob

ermmm.... :smt017 clearances, yeah...... :smt017 ............ confuddled

ive just been digging around me box (oo-er) and found a compression tester that i have used ONCE!...3 years ago when i did a part time college course in basic bike maintenance.....had a quick search on here but ill be blowed if ive forgotten how to use it and what its for....so any light would be appreciated!

is rubber grease like copper slip/grease? i have racing grease too!!

just bought one of those wee little stoolz on wheelz from gerickes, with a tray underneath the seat....well they made me buy it cos i was skidding over the shop floor on the demo model, and its pretty cool...invest in one, NOW!

B
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

lol, only go for the clearances if you know how :smt016

nope, rubber grease is red, you shouldnt use copper grease because it can cause the seals to swell. dunno what racing grease is or what for, does it say anything other than 'racing grease' on the tin?
Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bestie »

righto,

so, just say no to clearances then, gotchya! :smt023

i dont have any red grease but i shall invest in some, my racing grease is just normal bluey stuff, i do get a little giddy with it so i shall calm myself!

i shall read up on wheel bearings and replacing them myself, do you think its worth changing the fork oil too? ive read a few posts and it simply seems to be a case of slackening them from the mounts, removing the wheel, unscrewing em, emptying em and whacking some oil (of some kind) in em!

i managed to find an article on engine compression http://www.dansmc.com/compression_test.htm here, and the man recommends each should be no less than 100psi, even then its at deaths door apparently.

WELL!

my fecker is pushing up daisys then cos my results are thus:

1 - 90 psi
2 - 95 psi
3 - 100psi
4 - 80psi

now, i havent done the simple test he describes to check if its the valves or rings, which i shall do, but am i lookin at a total engine rebuild just based on this? its quite scary tbh!

B
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

did you hold the throttle on the stop for those compression tests?
Andy
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Post by rover220 »

when doing a compression test, the main thing is all cylinders have values that are within 10% of each other.

the kwak service manual says 95 psi is ok apparently. low compresison could be caused by valve clearances being out so id check these before you do too much worrying.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

For fork oil you need to make sure the right amount is in there, i believe there is either a measured amount to put in or a set distance from the top of the fork leg, probably the latter.

Might be worth doing i dunno, bike will probably feel like new when you change the oil and handle a bit better, but being such low mileage i dunno if its worth doing, what does the manual say? If it puts your mind at rest and you know how to do it then go for it :smt001

rover has it spot on, the clearances may need doing to bring the compression on form. Sure you dont wanna do them? :smt003
Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bestie »

rover220 wrote:low compresison could be caused by valve clearances being out so id check these before you do too much worrying.
aye, rob scared me already mentioning that.....may have to hand over to me mechanic for that job!

anyroad, thanks for the advice, both myslef and psychpaulgtr have just returned from a nocturnal bike check to produce the following results. I have the tank off, and all petrol drained from the floats, so i did as i was told, and held the throttle open this time..................drumroll please;

1 - 95
2 - 105
3 - 105
4 - 95

seems to be ok, but i still think ill have it checked, do you think i should?
Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bestie »

RobB wrote:Sure you dont wanna do them? :smt003
curse you robB

right (flex's arms outright, cracks knuckles) where do i start chaps?
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

start by taking the rocker cover off.............
Bestie
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Bestie »

ok

then?

(feels like an idjut guide- i love it!)
Northern ANdy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Unique ZXR400

Post by Northern ANdy »

I'd put that 95 down to a poor gauge mentally
Andy
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by rover220 »

i wouldnt bother messing with it at those figures unless its noticeably down on power or runs poor.