Bike stood for a very long time

Moderator: Moderators

leaf

Bike stood for a very long time

Post by leaf »

Hi, new here and looking for help.

I have the chance to buy a ZXR400 - l4 model I think from a friend of a friend. The bike has been stood for around 7 years covered in a garage. It was basically left after been used so is still full of fluids, apparently it used to run perfect. They guy just wants shut of it and I have told him I will give him a hand to get it started and will buy it if it does.

I fully expect that the battery will be shot but what other actions should I take prior to turning it over?. What do you think are the chances of getting it running? The price is very favourable but obviously I dont want to waste any real money trying to get it going if it is never going to run.

Any tips.. and thanks in advance.
rover220
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zx7r p6

Re: Bike stood for a very long time

Post by rover220 »

drop the oil and filter and fill with fresh.

then crank it over (remove leads so it wont fire) to build some oil pressure then fire it up. thats all the engine should need but brakes and chain etc will probably be shot after that long. tyres will be scrap too id imagine.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Bike stood for a very long time

Post by cargo »

Carbs could well be gummed up with residue from evaporated fuel...strip em and cleam em and empty the fuel tank and put fresh fuel in and new fuel filter would be good too.
It is also very likely the chain is rusted solid the brakes may be siezed and the fluid will need changing.

I'd stick a fresh air filter in too.

Change the oil and filter too

Clean the spark plugs check each one to make sure it's working.

Check the coolant level I'd consider replacing that too.

The exhaust pipes could well be rotten

Discs will be rusty

Tyres will be fooked

Battery will be fooked