2 quick questions - help please:)

Moderator: Moderators

Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

2 quick questions - help please:)

Post by Jeppo »

1 - How do you get the throttle cable off?? You know, the bit by the carbs, i'm trying to get the cylinder head cover off but can't figure out how the throttle cables come off!! I'm sure i'm just being daft but still lol

2 - Where does the tube that comes out the top of the coolant resovoir attatch to? I think its the overflow one yea? I can't see where it should attatch to!!

Cheers
Wabby
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400

Re: 2 quick questions - help please:)

Post by Wabby »

Answer to #2.

Yes, it is the overflow :) (If by reservoir you mean header tank)
hciR
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by hciR »

Q1
You need to undo the crosshead bolt that attaches the cable holder to the carbs, then pull the holder off to get enough slack to take the cables out. If that makes sense!
EDIT: here's a pic
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

Cheers!! That picture is very useful thanks....

So where does the other end of it attatch to then? lol I just can't see anywhere to stick it lol
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

overflow pipes vent to atmosphere, they dont attach to anything, just tuck it out of the way.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

there are complete workshop manuals on the main site mate .. might be worth downloading some chapters and firing up your printer.. you can take a laptop to the garage, but they tend to get a bit oily :)
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

I've got the manuals, which are covered in oil anyway. Though i don't understand all of it lol

For instance, I'm trying to remove the camshafts on my way to replacing the head gasket......the manual says simply undo bolts, then remove camcaps, and camshafts. It makes no mention of the chain anywhere, which is holding the camshafts in place and therefore I can't get them off!! which is rly frustrating me!! :ffs What am i doing wrong?? i.e. how do i get the camshafts off, and also, is it hard to get them back on in regards to camchain timing? It looks easy in the manual, but very hard in reality as the frame is blocking my view, I don't feel confident dropping the engine out just yet lol

Help please :D lol
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

i was wondering this earlier today as many on here change the camchain with the engine in situ but how can you see the timing marks on the cam gears?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

jeppo : remove the camchain tensioner, then the cam-caps, then you will find there is enough slack to lift the inlet cam slightly, move it forward and drop the chain off it, then do the same with the exhaust cam

next get the exhaust side tensioner blade out of there. Or it'll snag as you try to lift the head off

its all a bit fiddley, and is easier on a bench, especially with an L

i highly recommend a decent torch and a magnet on a stick*

and be uber carefull putting the camcaps back on, if you break one (very easily done) you are technically .. fecked as they are line bored in situ with the head, and swapping one off another engine isnt really to be recommended.

Baz : there are timing marks on both sides of the cam sprockets, at least, there are on the H's, i dont remember looking on the L4, but had the engine on a bench for that one anyway.

*for pulling the camchain back out of the chain tunnel when the heads back on, and for getting bits back out of places they shouldnt be after you've dropped them in there
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

The head is off, the magnet pen thing is excellent, although everything sticks to it when i put it down!! lol

There are timing marks on both sides of the cam sprockets for future reference so that shouldnt be too bad when reassembling.

Another question for ya, should there be antifreeze on the underside of the headgasket? i.e. surrounding the pistons?

zimm - gonna give my valve clearances a shot today or 2moro, if i can figure it out, got my feeler guage so fingers crossed lol, if i need shims did you say you could help on an exchange type basis should i need any??
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

did you drain the cylinder blocxk befor dissasembly ? of not, then thats where the coolant has come from

let me know what shims you need .. i have some, but what with postage either way, it may be quicker tio get them from a local kawasaki dealer
deviant
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by deviant »

I do the throttle cables from the other end, take the twistgrip apart and just pull the cables through the headstock, leaving them attached to the carbs. Dunno why, but it works.

If you're doing the head gasket, just drop the engine - it sounds terrifying but it's really easy, and it's so much easier to work on the head with the engine on a bench.
In the garage:
Kawasaki ZXR400 L3 - shiny
Suzuki DR800 - bouncy
1978 Suzuki GS400 - PROJECT RETRO RACER!
Kawasaki GPz500S - for sale soon
Honda CG125 BR-J - in bits
Jeppo
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Jeppo »

all done now, head gasket in, did'nt bother with valve clearances, couldn't figure it out :smt009 lol
Changed the friction plates today aswell
Won't start now though? Does it take a while to get fuel through cause i took the carbs off and drained them? I know the pump is workin coz i squirted some in my eye, and I know the plugs are sparking coz i electrocuted myself,

I should probably sell seats to my DIY mechaniking as a comedy show, i must have looked ridiculous!!! Couldnt see any spark so thought i'd touch it, nothing, i was standing on a sleeping bag that happens to be on the floor (apparently there good insulators) cause when my foot touched the floor BZZZZ

Is this non start after carb drain normal?? Or have i f***** Summit up :wanker
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

it can take a while to get the fuel back up

i tend to spin it over without choke until it starts to try and catch, then a bit of choke to get it to actually fire up.