Soon too be

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

Green1

Soon too be

Post by Green1 »

Hello all always wanted a ZXR400 since the age of 17 something always stops me from getting one. 15 years later it maybe comming true as I have been offered one for £500. :smt001
I started of on an Aprilia RS50 then moved onto a Suzuki GS125 it felt like a down grade. Then at the age of 18 on my way to buy a ZXR400 I bought an Aprilia 650 Pegaso instead. Still have it great bike. A few years passed so dicided it was time for a change so moved onto a Triumph speed4 another great bike but crap finish. Like swarf in the head race and wiring harness rubbing on the mono shock bolt and leaking oil like a 60's Triumph. The Aprilia and Triumph ended up out of action at the same time so I bought a Honda CD250U as a stop gap. Another great if slow bike. Sold the Triumph and Honda and bought a 1971 Honda CB750 K1 liked it so much I bought another for my dad. :smt002 I think the 70's hit me hard as I then bought a Honda CB400/4 and a CB550 I then dicided I needed a more modern Bike so bought a Moto Guzzi 1200 sport. Don't laugh its modern ish When I got it home and opened the garage door I realised I had become a bikeaholic.
Anyway back the the 400 Its a 1989 and has a single seat does that make it a J? It needs recomissioning as its stood for some time but it shouldn't be to bad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Soon too be

Post by banner001 »

Hi, and welcome!

Its hard to define it as a J1 from the outside as the rear shock and tail unit can be changed easily... Here are the differences from H1 to J1

Difference number 1
The seat unit is a single seater! One of the biggest give aways that it is an SP model! But dont be fooled as it could be an aftermarket piece of bodywork.

Difference number 2
The rear shock. The J1 model has a bright kawasaki green shock. As far as im aware the spring is different to standard but the shock is not any more adjustable (preload and rebound only). The remote reservoir should be present on the RHS of the bike attached to the subframe.

Difference number 3
The gearbox! It is closer ratio!

Difference number 4
The engine should have a J punched into the RHS of the engine just below the cylinder head.

Difference number 5
The camshafts are adjustable with slotted ends to allow for individual timing adjustments to be made to the inlet and exhaust cams.

So without looking for the J punch mark on the RHS of the block, and checking for adjustable cam sprockets there is very little way to tell if it's a J model I'm afraid.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Green1

Post by Green1 »

Well I picked the bike up yesterday after work and it looks very origanal with its green shock,single seat, origanal brake hoses and exhaust.
Only real downside is someone has been let loose with Hamerite its everywere.
The Origanal paint is in fairly good order with a few chips and cracks but nothing alarming.
When checking the VIN it comes up as an 89 J. Am I right thinking its a very early one? Its VIN no:300008
Pics to follow
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

The engine is easy to swapso you still need to look at it as that's the real "J" bit... But looks like a good find!
Green1

Post by Green1 »

I thought I would whip the fairings off for a better look and found oil and corrosion covering the engine number and after much scrubbing I can almost see it now. It looks like it may be stamped with a G. Does anyone know what Year a G would be?
Last edited by Green1 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God

Post by banner001 »

You got some pictures of the mark and the engine? I'm wondering if someone has put in a zx4g engine which is a much earlier engine?

The only marks that should be punched on the cases are J or M
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

welcome!

love the H model, best shape there is!!

just to add to Banner's first post about finding out if it is an SP is to check the forks - if they have adjusters at the base of the stanchions (where the wheel spindle is) then you have SP forks

also as Banner said about the cylinder head - yes it will have a J stamped on the head, but have also seen an X and a D recently - X being the old Race Kit (i can only assume was tuned from factory for the team) Mori Man has this head, the D is from Xanthus 400 I believe which had the engine code D...

another one regarding cams - if they aren't adjustable but are slotted, you may have EARLY H cams which are the same profile as SP (used in the ZX-4 motor) I have these in my H

just a little more info for you :) plenty of info on the site, Banner is a guru with these bikes, I'm active on the forum but rarely post as much these days but definitely give us a shout if need be, i've learnt a lot about these bikes over the last 12years so I have a bit of info i can give lol