New here.

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

ben-1903
My Bike: ZXR400L5, Polini GP3

New here.

Post by ben-1903 »

Hi all, Im new on the forum, not long passed my bike test. On a restricted lisence :smt011..But what they dont know cant hurt them right? haha. I come from a motorsport background having raced motox and minimoto as a kid to the progressing to production 125cc and only managed some track days on my formula 400 nc30 before i wrecked the engine and lost interest. Anyway, i'll be sticking around so look forward to reading some info and having a squint at your bikes.

keep it lit,
Ben
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: New here.

Post by CaNsA »

ben-1903 wrote: On a restricted lisence :smt011..But what they dont know cant hurt them right?
I will hurt you though if you come off your bike and take me out in the process.
Riding on a restricted licence and not having the restriction kit fitted is the same as riding without insurance.

great way to introduce yourself on a forum....

"I ride a bike without insurance"

:ffs
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
davkay70
My Bike: ZXR400 {1990}

Post by davkay70 »

HI MAN
im with 1st reply man no insurance, (you could say fine to ride) always BUT you get pulled by bike copper he going know his stuff about a bike or you stack it then you in soft smelly, how long are you restricted for ?
ben-1903

Post by ben-1903 »

My insurance have never asked for any form of restriction, are aware of the license i have and my age. The restriction is a bag of nonsense. So someone aged 21who has never ridden a bike until doing a direct access and jumps straight a sports bike is less of a risk than the likes of myself who could ride a PW50 before i could ride a push bike?! Its an idiotic law. I had the kit on for a while it choked the bike, made it stupidly slow. Ive got the restriction for a year and il just do the test again so im straight onto whatever i like. I HAVE insurance and a certificate to say the bikes restricted, I just took the washers back out. Im not here for approval from anyone, just to seek info and share banter. This is the internet. Lighten up.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

You do not have a licence for a de-restricted bike...............and if you dont have a licence to ride the bike than you dont have insurance doesn't matter what you told them nor what they did or didn't ask for.
What you acutally have is some worthless bits of paper

Without the washers you are an uninsured rider and as such a danger to yourself and all others. Those of us who remain within the law face higher insurance costs and ever more difficult and restricive licence laws thanks to idiots like you.

And as I once told someone else on here your IP is traceable and your home address or an address to find you is easy to track down. If asked the owner of this site is obilged to hand that information over so not only are you riding with no insurance that fact that you've posted that information on here proves it and is an admission of guilt.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

ben-1903 wrote:Some crap about being awesome
Tell that to the cops when you get caught at xxx mph
Also try telling your insurers that when they tell you that you are not covered when you have an accident (your fault or not) and the rozzers fine you, crush your bike and slap you with 6 points. Oh and lets not forget that you will get your licence revoked if you get 6 points within the 1st 2yrs.
And see what happens when you cause an accident, cause damage to some-one elses bike/car/van etc and you have to go to your insurers and get them to pay out.
ben-1903 wrote:I HAVE insurance and a certificate to say the bikes restricted, I just took the washers back out. Im not here for approval from anyone, just to seek info and share banter. This is the internet. Lighten up.
I have an Iron Man mask and a Wolverine Claw.....
Does that mean I am Iron Man and Wolverine?
So are you saying is that it is ok to drive/ride an uninsured vehicle?
You have taken the washers out. That means the bike IS NOT RESTRICTED. Which means you are liable for the following
LC20 Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence
IN10 Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks.

The law is the law, yes some laws are stupid and we may not agree with them but we have to follow them.
I stand by my first post.

If you take me and my bike out, and you are not abiding to the terms of your policy, Ill kick your ass and take the cost of repairs straight out your front door and put them in a van.

No matter what you say, or how much you try to convince yourself that it is ok, you are wrong.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Post by Tirpitz »

Sorry mate but there are several things about your post which piss me off and I'm with CaNsA and Cargo on this. We're not a bunch of boring old duffers on here, pottering around in hi-vis, but that doesn't mean we think it's a great laugh to stick two fingers up to all the rules and bugger the consequences for everyone else. I don't have insurance for myself, frankly I can afford to sort the bike out if I wreck it or buy another, the insurance is there for the benefit of anyone else I accidentally involve in a mistake I might make. It simply isn't fair - in fact it's selfish in the extreme - to damage other people's stuff / person, however inadvertantly, and not have the means to recompense them in full and without delay. If you're riding without valid insurance that's the position you're in.

And another thing - the rozzers aren't thick (no really!). They have dedicated units who watch internet sites to trace lawbreakers and they do watch bike sites. Just ask people who've been on organised rideouts and found themselves miraculously followed by plod all day. We can all do without the stereotype of bikers being indifferent to the law being reinforced as it just gives those with the means to make life difficult even more excuses to saddle us with more bullshit legislation. This makes life so difficult, and expensive, for youngsters wanting to get into bikes. You can hardly blame them for getting a bit pissed if this site is littered with posts about guys breaking the law. Or if you're going to do it, do us a favour and keep it to yourself.

There's absolutely no way you're going to get people on this site saying 'Dude!' if you come on here displaying such an FU attitude to issues which have the potential to impact on all of us. We do actually give a flying one about other people on here.

:ffs :rant
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

it's interesting to see peoples responses to this, and other similar posts.

for the record I too disagree about illegally riding a derestricted bike - no license, no insurance, no tax etc. A financial risk to you and others. I also agree that restrictors are a bit too restrictive, a mates gsxr600 srad on restrictors struggles to do 90mph. A 33bhp rs125 can easily top 120mph, so there's no way his gsxr is putting out 33bhp. personally i'd get it dyno'd, check the rwhp, and adjust restricors as applicable, to keep close to the 33bhp. Actually, i'd get a nicely tuned rs125 and save 50kg but then there's the cost of 2t oil...

i also agree that talking about it openly is not so much risky (after all, how often does mcn talk about doing 90mph motorway speeds, and when was the last time you saw neevesy get nicked?) but foolhardy, it is automatically going to put peoples backs up.

What has really shocked me though is the level of animosity here towards this. In most cases derestriction is done because people feel hard done by - 17 year old car drives can drive whatever the hell they want, so why penalise bikers? (note, remember to biker as religion in your census!) and yes i disagree with it.

but if you were caught speeding (as I was in january at about 110mph on a1m) by the cambridgeshire fuzz) I think every man/woman here would appreciate a quiet chat in the back of the patrol car (as i did) and being told to be more careful in future than to have some one over zealously throwing the book, notepad, pen, and filing cabinet at them.

If the police had taken the same attitude to me as some people on here are showing more of, then I'd be both car and bikeless, out of work, and we'd probably struggle to keep our house.

I think we should take their approach, encouragement and a guiding hand, not downright abuse. Save that for when the person actually ignores said advice.

I've often noticed how much animosity there is on the mcn forums, whilst here has always been alot friendlier and more supportive (with only a few minor exceptions), but this last week I seem to be noticing alot of malice creeping in when firm guidance would be better. I don't want to see this site become bitchy and nasty like others i've seen.

Ok, so in short, before taking out the restrictors and risking both yours and some one elses bank balances, check what power you bike is actually making with them in. the law is all about the actual power produced, not about an official restriction kit. once the engine is making full 33bhp, try to shift it as low down the rev range as possible, then try to loose weight. for this reason you'd be better off with something like a big single or a twin, since they'll make 33bhp alot sooner than a 4 pot engine.

and for point of fact I wasn't daft enough to flash past a panda car at over a ton. It was a quiet clear lunchtime on flat open 4 lane motorway, with no one in the outside two lanes.said police car (cambs ones are black with hi vis on top, they really don't stand out much) pulled onto the straight flat a1m below peterborough half a MILE behind and saw me dissapearing into the distance. the first i knew was when he put his lights on about 200m back.
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I think "firm guidance" is exactly what our errant friend has recieved...............he did try and justify what he was doing.

There has been a level of anger but not abuse and certainly no one hates our friend.

He's young foolish as we all were once and he'll learn lets hope it's not the hard way........seen too many guys killed on bikes some of them breaking the rules too.
I come from an era when 100mph 250s were learner legal with NO training buy the bike and off you go.........many of us were lucky to survive. I saw 3 mates killed in a week back in 1978.
And easy 10 people known to me killed in the first 3 years I was riding.

The very fact the law is restrictive is a reaction by the powers that be to try and protect us from ourselves and our foolish youthfull ways..................Word is that the age from driving a car will be raised to 18 here in Norn Iron so it's not just bikers................it's teenagers generally.

If our friend had said nothing.............he would not have left himself open to critisism and we'd be none the wiser but he tells all then he's fair game for some firm guidance
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by gavinfdavies »

that sounds a lot nicer now. the hard part is that the written word doesn't always convey the tone of the conversation correctly, so sometimes things can sound worse than they are. I just don't want people to be put off. too much firm guidance and us young foolish ones will say stuff it and walk away.

Just look at the comments after any story on the mcn site, half seem to be criticism of the story, the other half people criticising each other! Every time i see it i just think i'm glad our club isn't like that.
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

"the hard part is that the written word doesn't always convey the tone of the conversation correctly"

Wise words for one so young..............and something that I have passed comment on before both here and on other forums.
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by gavinfdavies »

I may have the body of a podgey 25 year old (whose leather didn't quite do up at the last track day... confuddled ) but I have the mind and soul of an old codger! oldman
ben-1903

Post by ben-1903 »

Kick my ass? Behave

Gavin, Im glad you can see my point of view, Its not an FU attitude, the law in my opinion is stupid. Because someone is one year older than me it means they are less of a risk on the road and can jump straight on to a zzr1400 for example and im stuck on a 125 because of my age, not my experience or through doing a different test. For the record ive had a cbt for the last 3.5years until i passed my proper test.

The A and A1 course and tests are EXACTLY the same. :smt015

ANYHOO, Ive left the restriction kit in for the time being as i frankly cant be hooped stripping it out.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

*edited to remove caffeine fuelled drivel*
Last edited by zimm on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Just to make ben feel better about himself:

When I applied for my provisional licence it already had a IN10 , PL10 and the one for no crash helmet on it !

All in all I was right royally screwed for ever getting insurance for any bike until they came off :smt009

Of course the all knowing Law took into account my age , my means of living and decided to make my own personal circumstances even harder - we aren't all blessed with a charmed life and some of us start at the bottom and dont get much above ankle height for many years and its not something you should be bashing some one for.

Biking is a way of life , if it is in your blood you will ride any way you want irresponsibly or not . Its not a law abiding vocation and preaching on about the image of bikers being tarnished is :wanker - DILLIGAF :ffs

In the past I think it was the wibbly wobbly buses we used to ride that killed most - I too have lost many friends , some their own doing , some taken out by cagers but all were doing what they loved - biking !

Pushing a 70's or early 80's bike above a ton is scarey - they can do it but its not comfortable in any shape or form. A modern bike at the same speed is rock solid and has the brakeing to match - stopping a 2T at over ton with drum brakes is just loco never mind banking it on crossply square tyres with a chassis that wants to keep going straight !

IMHO
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly