Good day ZXR lovers

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

markbrace
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400 L1

Good day ZXR lovers

Post by markbrace »

I'm new to the site so I thought it good manners to introduce myself.

In fact I'm new to this blogging stuff, this is blogging isn't it?

So, I have a ZXR400 L1 UK spec in Green, White and Blue, I bought it off ebay in 2007 after lusting after it for 25 years!! Back then I was a sensible Royal Marine Sniper so opted for a brand new ZZR600 sports tourer instead of the stunning single seat ZXR400 in beautiful metallic blue with gloss black frame and alloys...girlfriends...they mess with your mind.

After many years of active service and near death experiences I am now a not-so-sensible ex-Royal Marine with a ZXR400!!!!! Lock and load!!!

Can I ask for your help? Some little sXXt emptied the tank whilst it was in storage without my knowledge and this has caused the petrol tank to rust internally. Would anyone know if the petrol tank on a L9 would fit a L1?

or, the best way to stop and seal the rust in the tank? Everything on my L1 is original factory spec including the exhaust and I would really like to keep it faithful to the corp so I don't want an after market tank to devalue or demean it.

Looking forward to your replies and chatting with people with obviously excellent taste in bikes.

Mark :smt024
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Good day ZXR lovers

Post by cargo »

Good mate of mine did 19 years in the Marines..............hardest man I know
Works in the Gulf guarding ships now...............he shoots pirates for fun

It's not blogging your contributing to a forum discussion
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

a little rust will not do too many bad things, you have a fuel filter so that will catch almost all of the small and large particles.

as for rust removal, i have heard about people removing everything from the fuel tank, sealing all the holes with tape, then adding some mild acid (vinegar), a tank cleaning product and some nuts (to help bash rust off)...but i would assume that unless you try to seal the bare metal afterwards it can/will probably rust again.

as for removing the fuel before storage...thats what you are supposed to do, if not the fuel breakes down over time and leaves a horrible jelly-like gunk behind thats much worse for the engine than a small amount of rust. what you can do in future is buy some dessicants (anhydrous calcium chloride, silica gel etc...) these will absorb any water that get into a tank in storage, you just need to periodically "refresh" them by baking in the oven for a few minutes to remove the adsorbed water.

as for fuel tanks, dont know if there were any differences in fuel tanks, i suspect not, but if you go for something L4 or before you should be on better ground fit-wise, unless someone finds out that all the tanks ARE the same.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

hello and welcome to the forum.

get some pics up soldier! :smt001
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

hello and welcome to the forum.

get some pics up soldier! :smt001
MrLuke
My Bike: ZXR400 L3

Post by MrLuke »

Welcome to the forum :smt001

I've de-rusted my tank after taking my carbs apart and finding the float bowls were full of rust sediment. It was quite easy and it hasn't rusted up since I did it about 8-9 months ago (I try to keep my tank fullish though). I've been meaning to do a guide so I'll do it soon. Kawasaki say in the handbook to drain and remove the tank then put some engine oil in it and swirl it about to coat all the surface inside. Or another method I've heard is to fill the tank then put some fuel stabilizer in. But don't buy another tank just yet :smt002
markbrace
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400 L1

Post by markbrace »

Thanks for the welcome everyone, and thanks to Banner001 and MrLuke for your guidance.

RedexRobB I will try to get some pictures up for you.

Thanks for the welcome Cargo I was kidding with the blog statement I did it to wind up my 4 daughters, who find it frustrating to watch a dinosaur typing with two fingers. What section was your friend attached too? I had a similar opportunity with a private security company, really well paid, three month rolling tours around the Indian ocean.

speak to you all soon