Hong Kong Phooey

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Hong Kong Phooey

Post by GibboN »

Hey everyone!

I'm originally from Bedfordshire in the UK and have always been drawn to bikes but never had the money. After graduating from uni I moved straight out to HK and struggled a bit to support myself and get through a part time masters degree.

Everything's settled down so finally registered for motorcycle lessons here in Hong Kong last September and by November had found a bright green kawasaki that was exactly what I was after- my ZXR400 :excited

Whilst learning I spent a lot of time reading these forums and did some basic work on the bike (oil, fuel filter, air filter, plugs) but she wasn't running quite right. I only paid £1,495 which is dirt cheap out here for a bike like this so was expecting some problems.
After I put her in a shop she came out running for 80 quid but still wasn't right.

Having passed my test last week I insured and licensed her but she wouldn't go :smt010
I've mentioned elsewhere on the forums that it took another £500 or so getting her fixed up and now she's good as new. Took her to work and back yesterday and today and am absolutely loving it! Everythings gone well so far- limited to 70 kmph maximum for a year so nothing silly but am not wearing my jacket/padded jeans because it's just too hot. Want to get the gear on but for now am making do with a good quality helmet, gloves and boots.

The taxi and minibus drivers out here are nutters but I'm putting into practice everything I've been reading, assume I'm invisible, always check before turning and concentrating on being as smooth as possible. The clutch on her is completely different to the 125's I learnt on but I'm getting the hang of it. Had a nightmare stall in the middle of a busy intersection during the first ride out (had to get off her and push it into a bus stop lane!) but am since stalling an average of once per trip with her starting straight up again thank god.

During the time I was learning and had oodles of time to just look at my bike I found this website a wealth of information. The manual and microfiches were in particular great to get my hands on. Props to everyone who contributes, the model is slowly getting older but it's great to see so much enthusiasm for a great bit of kit :smt003
New Bitmap Image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Hong Kong Phooey

Post by cargo »

That's an SP seat unit..............................one does hope that you've got the rest of the SP goodies and in fact own a SP
cookiesol
My Bike: ZXR 400 L7

Post by cookiesol »

doubt its a SP. i only know of 1 SP model in hk and i visit yearly. hope i am wrong thou.
welcome matey. let me know if u need parts from sgp. loads of used parts here. not cheaper for new parts though

cheers
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

SP forks too if I'm not mistaken...
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

One of the Standard colour schemes for an sp model too.

Looking good.
GibboN

Post by GibboN »

Thanks guys, there's a little confusion about the model- the guy who sold it to me was the second owner and says he imported it from Japan. He sold it to me as a 1998 SP but when I checked the chassis and engine number Kwaka tell me it's a 1994 ZX400-M4.
The forks are upside down adustable, the gearbox is close ratio (so the shop tell me) and the seat unit has the bum pad which can be removed using the ignition key.
Putting that with the information on the forum I think it is an SP version of the L model. :excited

Cookiesol thanks very much for the offer from Singa, I still need to get my butt out there for a visit. Before getting my bike I hadn't seen any ZXRs out here but since getting mine have seen this one for sale asking price HK$28,000 (£2,330).

Not sure if you know the dealership selling this bike- Titanic Moto in Fortress Hill but they've been able to get all parts new for my bike so far.
Hopefully this means there are at least two SPs in HK now :smt001
GibboN

Post by GibboN »

Just re-read the model identification thread- I'll check whether the rear shock is adjustable or not. Just as soon as it stops absolutely pissing down outside.

This morning reminded me I really need to buy some waterproofs...
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

check the front sprocket......................16 teeth would suggest close ratio gearbox and thus SP engine

SP forks have compression adjuster the bottom

SP shock is fully adjustable for preload, rebound and compression

SP have Mitsubushi ignition boxes

SP have FCR flatslide carbs

SP has throttle position sensor

SP has slotted and adjustable camshaft sprockets

Due to the massive exchangeability of ZXR 400 parts anything could have been added or removed from your bike
GibboN

Post by GibboN »

ok so thinking it may not in fact be an SP now. May just be parts fitted on.

Forks are adjustable, has an original SP seat, shock doesn't look to be adjustable and is actually in pretty poor nick, ignition looks pretty standard and can't see the front sprocket easily. Will get the cover off it eventually but given the rest of it it's looking standard I think. Still very happy with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GibboN on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
GibboN

Post by GibboN »

Also has an aftermarket exhaust with an...interesting inscription...

"RS Bansei racing The Exhaust System Generate High Power"

:ffs
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400L9 2001

Post by KwakKwak »

GibboN wrote:Also has an aftermarket exhaust with an...interesting inscription...

"RS Bansei racing The Exhaust System Generate High Power"

:ffs
Exhaust worth having just for that inscription, mine has a full Scorpion system, no inscription yet, but may add -

"Scorpion road The exhaust system generate high noise"
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

That's defo a SP fork..............
and that shock might be SP
Get the seat off and show us a pic of the ignition box
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

I'd like to hear your exhaust, actually running, not sitting idling. I'm a little kinky as far as exhaust notes go.
Does the low seat height reflect the low intelligence? Easier to get an asshole onto.
GibboN

Post by GibboN »

Sorry guys I let the thread die- been back in UK for 3 weeks. I'll get the seat off for a photo and see about about making a blue video for KK.

After three weeks standing she didn't want to start but got her going in about 5 minutes. I was terrified the battery would die on me...
KwakKwak
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by KwakKwak »

GibboN wrote:Sorry guys I let the thread die- been back in UK for 3 weeks. I'll get the seat off for a photo and see about about making a blue video for KK.

After three weeks standing she didn't want to start but got her going in about 5 minutes. I was terrified the battery would die on me...
A blue video, excellent, remember to make one of your exhaust as well :smt003