New member - no ZXR yet

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

Jonjo
My Bike: L1 ZXR400

New member - no ZXR yet

Post by Jonjo »

Morning all,

I ride a Suzuki bandit 600, but want a zxr400 for some additional fun/track bike.
There is one currently for sale on the tree for £600 but the headgasket has gone - has had new clutch, tyres, pads recently before that went. I'm sure it wont be that hard for you all to find. It's local to me so would cost pittance to collect.

Does anyone think this is a fair buy - obviously I can haggle down a bit. I'm fairy good with a spanner and done lots of reading about what might,would need replacing and or checking.
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: New member - no ZXR yet

Post by ross46 »

I can't find it :smt017 put up a link. But if I was buying another one and that's in good condition apart from the HG I personally would go for it, £20 for the gasket and a day or two's work, need any help just post your question. Welcome to the forum
Jonjo

Post by Jonjo »

CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Any decent mechanic will drop the lump to replace the gasket.
If the head has warped it will need to be skimmed.
Can be pricey to get it all done, might be cheaper to look in the classifieds section to see if anyone is selling a working H lump.

Edit, I see that oyu can make an offer on it.
Offer £300, pay £400
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I wouldn't give £600 for it..........................300 at most

Here's a 1990 one going for £1100........................you could haggle him down a bit..............looks all original and low miles................and its a runner

Full MOT Full years tax.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... to-content
Jonjo

Post by Jonjo »

I offered a generous £450 in the hope I could get right away - but the seller wanted more since he/she had spent that in parts over the past few months.

I'm based in Hertfordshire so would like something fairly local - I'm aware a working example can be had for £1000 but its always the other end of the country :(
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Buy it, ride it back.

Thats what i've done with every one of my bikes.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

Or do what I did... See a bike you like, buy it, then worry about the fact it's 270 miles away :pmsl the guy I was working for at the time said he would pick it up, I had to work my butt off to get the job done a day early so we could go get it, could barely move when I got home! But it was worth it biggrin was thinking of a bigger bike lately, but since ive sorted the electrics and the fairings, and halfway through the yearly full maintenance I realised I love it! Was sitting there yesterday afternoon with the grease and a paintbrush out and just thought, naaaah, your not going anywhere
Jonjo

Post by Jonjo »

That may have to be the case! Buy and worry about the distance later!