Hi From Berkshire!

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

Phill748
My Bike: Triumph Daytona

Hi From Berkshire!

Post by Phill748 »

Hiya,

I had a ZXR400 L5 about 10 years ago and really liked it, I then sold it eventually because I moved up to a Ducati 748. I now have a Ducati 848 Evo but a mate has had a ZXR400 L3 for a few years in a sorry state which I am currently tinkering with to see if it's a viable project for a rolling bitsa bike.

I need something that I can use to ride to work in all weathers and do up gradually but it needs a ton of work! It barely runs, although I have got it running after lots of carb stripping and cleaning, so now if I can Balance the carbs up and get the bike running well I will tackle the other jobs! which are!

The list of fairly large jobs includes:

1) Completely rebuilt front brakes, possible cheaper to exchange or swap with some GSXR600 Calipers.
2) Same for the Rear brake, even the pistons in both are wrecked.
3) Clean and de-grease the whole bike; check electrics and lights and replace RH Handlebar.
4) Re-Spray bodywork and find missing in-fill panels
5) Replace Tyres and check suspension components and wheel bearings for wear.

TBH, it's a close run thing as to whether it's worth doing! but it is a project none the less and if I can get it running really well once the carbs are balanced it will encourage me to do the rest on as tighter budget as I can.

I did a 2005 Aprilia RS125 a couple of years ago and it turned out really well, I put a 34m Carb on it and re-built the top end and it goes really well, I guess the ZXR400 is another bike of my youth that I fancied getting together for a blast!

So I am not new to ZXR's but have found loads of usefull info already on here, so thanks to everyone who produced guides and has replied to threads such as ones where the revs hang (mine does) and carb balance guides as I will be doing that first.
jimsym
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Re: Hi From Berkshire!

Post by jimsym »

Welcome!

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on how the 748 compares against the ZXR400.

DId you find the riding position / comfort / size much different?
kawazonkey
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400

Post by kawazonkey »

Hi there, whereabouts in Berks are you?
Phill748
My Bike: Triumph Daytona

Post by Phill748 »

Hi guys, I'm in Hungerford.

The ZXR from memory is quite different to the Ducati riding position wise, the bar reach is similar as is the width but the Ducati has quite a sloped seat and is super skinny. You really slot into the Ducati.

Engine wise it's chalk and cheese for obvious reasons, however I wouldn't say the 748 was a huge jump in terms of outright pace, it just had a lot more grunt through the revs.

I then went to 600's that were mad, a CBR and a ZX6R that were all about revs and then a Daytona 675 which was a lovely bike, I now have a Ducati 848 evo which is a lot like the 748 but much smoother and lighter and obviously a lot more powerful. The similarity is the front end feel that I also loved on my zxr.