Hiya!

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

neil_1821
My Bike: ZXR 750 & ZXR 400

Hiya!

Post by neil_1821 »

Thought I'd say a quick hello

Since passing my bike test 2 years ago I've been riding round my ZXR 750 that i repainted back into original colors and gave some TLC to.

Some fairings are off to be painted again so she's been off the road for a while, i was browsing ebay and came across a little 400 that wasn't far away so i just put a bid in and low and behold i won it! Collected it today and given it a good look over. There are a few bits i need to do, one bit that really annoys me is the rear hugger seems misshaped and one of the rear lugs where it should bolt too has snapped clean off and is missing, so I may have to ask for some advice. I could make a bracket up but i'm worried that drilling into the frame may increase the stress level. I could have a bracket TIG welded on but then i've got to paint around it black.

The rest of the bike has been rebuilt, from the frame up, re-painted frame, bearings, chain, sprocket, tyres, every single nut and bolt replaced, wavy discs, braided lines, rebuilt forks with custom gold plating and a custom Lamborghini green paint job. Not keen on the home made end can, but for saying the guy spent roughly £3200 rebuilding it (i totaled up the receipts I got) I think I got quite a bargain for £971.05

kawazonkey
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400

Re: Hiya!

Post by kawazonkey »

I saw that on ebay...that is one hell of a bargain! I'd avoid drilling into the frame, it was designed to be as it is...can't you drill the knackered bolt out and re tap it?
neil_1821

Post by neil_1821 »

kawazonkey wrote:I saw that on ebay...that is one hell of a bargain! I'd avoid drilling into the frame, it was designed to be as it is...can't you drill the knackered bolt out and re tap it?
There is no bolt there, what I mean is there is no tab at all behind the hugger at the rear. You can see where it's missing off the frame.
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Get a close up pic of the offending area.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
neil_1821

Post by neil_1821 »

Here's a picture of the area, it's a little dark but you can see inside where the welds are for the metal bracket that should be there but isn't! Before it was painted they filled the rear hole on the higher, which you can make out in the second picture

CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

Grind it back and weld a new mounting tab on there.
or
Buy another swing arm.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
neil_1821

Post by neil_1821 »

Unfortunately that's the only option I could think of. Going to have to find a local TIG welder
Madderz
My Bike: 1992 Kawasaki ZXR400

Post by Madderz »

Not keen on the home made end can
I actually think that looks really smart!! Don't bin it! If you ever wanna get rid i'll snap that off you. :smt003
He who dares, Wins.
kawazonkey
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400

Post by kawazonkey »

Love the zorst...very funky.