Afternoon all - new ZX4 owner

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

Tom Mac
My Bike: ZXR400H2

Afternoon all - new ZX4 owner

Post by Tom Mac »

Hi,
I've recently taken this ZX4 as payment for some work:

Its been languishing in a garden for awhile so there's a bit of rust and grime here and there but it doesn't appear to be too bad.
its missing a few bits (airbox, end can, chainguard and some small bits), but has an oil cooler on it :smt017 and a HPI check on the frame number shows that it isn't registered in the UK.

I've started to clean some of the grime off it but i'm stuck on what to do with it next. Don't know whether to try and find another ZX4 frame and logbook and swap the rest over or go for a ZXR400H frame.

cheers
Tom
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Re: Afternoon all - new ZX4 owner

Post by Ewetea »

Apparently this model was only produced for one year before being replaced by the H model. So - spares are going to be difficult to source, especially just a frame with a V5. If you source an H frame, it looks as though the only thing that will transfer is the engine. The existing front forks are conventional, whereas the H are USD, and a decent pair are scarce these days. A leaky pair could be restored, but you're looking at £250. A quick read of ZX4 comments on sites shows that the bikes were not particularly popular, so in spite of being in limited numbers, it is unlikely to increase in value. Apart from the engine, there is unlikely to be much demand for parts if you break it. Try trawling the internet for parts to see if you can at least obtain sufficient to make it roadworthy - the side panels are going to be tricky. You may have to source parts from abroad (eg Japan). The silencer shouldn't be a problem as it would seem you just need a slip-on of the right diameter. Also approach DVLA about registering the bike to find out if it is possible, and how much it will cost. Look on it as an intersting and challenging project! Who knows - maybe there are folk on the forum that have the parts you need.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

if you are going to restore it for personal use, probably never sell it, and understand that it will cost you 10x its future value to get it looking nice then keep it, restore it here and there and you will have a nice and pretty rare bike.

if you want to make some money break it for spares.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Tom Mac

Post by Tom Mac »

thanks for the replies, pretty sure it won't be a full restoration, leaning towards selling it on and putting the money towards a "H" at the moment. Meanwhile i'm just trawling through the old threads, hopefully learning a bit :smt005
Tom Mac

Post by Tom Mac »

ok, first question:

the Engine number is: ZX400GE023247 and has an oil cooler on it and the genny cover has "ZXR" on it,
according to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=236 the engine number is from a H model onwards ZXR, so do i have a ZXR motor in a ZX4 chassis?
Tom Mac

Post by Tom Mac »

Decision made, its now on ebay and i'm going to look for a slightly more complete and working ZXR instead.... anyone got a H2 lying around :smt003
kawazonkey
My Bike: Kawasaki zxr400

Post by kawazonkey »

Yes...and I'm 80% through restoring it! Good luck with the sale.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

The f3 CDi is serial number 21119-1245 and the pulsar will have 1168 stamped on it and will have 8 projections.

CDi should be pretty definitive as they only ran the engine for a year.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Tom Mac

Post by Tom Mac »

taken a deposit on the ZX4 and managed to pick up a H2. Its mostly complete but has suffered from a few parts being trimmed with a hacksaw. Got a few bits coming from it off eBay and there's a wanted add up on here.