Green is the fastest colour

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: KR-1R

Green is the fastest colour

Post by Top-shaggy »

Hi, my names Shaun and I'm new to the forum and .... Ahem.... New to the ZXR400
Being a two stroke addict and KR/AR fan, its taken me quite a while to embrace the virtues of 4stroke 400cc madness.
But I've jumped in now with both boots and it only took the first 70miles riding it home to make me smitten.
Vibration, buzzing, revving, zinging, zapping, darting around the traffic ... Great fun!

My steed is pretty standard and in good order. Slight flat spot around 4000 but that's nothing after riding a highly strung 2t with all its grumpiness. I'm thinking I need to balance the carbs?

Here's a couple of pics. Will post some more when it's had a strip n clean..
Cheers

We are we're we are..
tink
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400 L2

Re: Green is the fastest colour

Post by tink »

Hi and very nice bike you have
zxr89
My Bike: dream of zxr 400

Post by zxr89 »

Wow.! original painting!
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

Hi !

as said in the other thread, nice to see one so clean and original :smt001

any pictures of the KR ?

I was always partial to the TZR's, would like one again, but they're a lot of money for not a lot of performance now.. KR1's were always the quick one.. but the only one i ever had a go on was, umm .. i think tired is the word im looking for.
Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Top-shaggy »

zimm wrote:Hi !

as said in the other thread, nice to see one so clean and original :smt001

any pictures of the KR ?

I was always partial to the TZR's, would like one again, but they're a lot of money for not a lot of performance now.. KR1's were always the quick one.. but the only one i ever had a go on was, umm .. i think tired is the word im looking for.
I'm a bit of a Kwak fan.. Here's a couple including the R
It always rains when I take them out..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We are we're we are..
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

lovely, and in the best colours too :)

very rare and special bike that.

The KR1-R that is.

Ive never ridden an AR, one of my friends had one, but by the time i'd passed my CBT (on a full power tzr - been riding on roads 2 years by then as had been living in the hebrides and was exempt from cbt) he'd acquired an ex IOM tt TZR250.. which fortunately (for me) was missing the PV link and ran like shite.. so i could still beat him when we went out for a ride..
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

this is going to seem an odd question from someone who's been riding zxr400's in one form or another for.. um, well, since 1998*... but is it not a bit gutless heavy and pedestrian compared to the KR1 ? or is that me viewing 2 stroke power bands through rose tinted glasses ?

*cos you cant despatch a tzr 1kt without something going bang, but you can ride a zx4 (not zxr) 400 miles a day comfortably (when in your early 20's)
Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Top-shaggy »

The KR is light, stops on a pin head, turns quick and screams when the power kicks in on the KIPS...it's a very quick bike.
I've not had the ZXR long but I like the planted feel and balance, its more forgiving and inspires confidence .. Reliability? Not had it long enough to say.

I'm also enjoying having something in keeping with the prod series that I can compare to the 2 strokes

Like my intro suggested, I've been a two stroke nut for most of my riding days (other than sortee's into Hayabusa CBR territory) and this is one of those bikes I always fancied. It helps that the wifey likes it too :o)
We are we're we are..
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by zimm »

makes sense..

reliability ? keep on top of it and they go on forever.. ive had 2 that covered over 60,000 miles in my ownership without any major work (head gasket every 25k or so + regular servicing .. ) one lived on motorways at 12k+ all day long (and was capable of 143mph according to thames valley constabulary) and eventually got stolen and crashed whilst i was at uni (swapped the wreckage for a tzr engine), the other my ex kept .. bottom end was a bit rumbly by then but she did ride it hard, (only person ive ever known who could wear out the sides of a back tyre before the middle - on the roads) and i'd thrashed it to, round, and back from the alps a few times.. its neglect that ruins them (like any bike really), i got both the formentioned bikes with around 5000 miles on the clock.. and had little damage/wear to undo.
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Nice pack :smt007

I find my ZXR faster than my RG , the 2T will initially skelp it but not for long :smt003

When I stop using the ZXR then go back to it I always wonder why I stopped using it :smt017 Just fitted new hoops on it and adjustable dog bones and it rides lovely :smt016

Keep em green fella :smt004
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Top-shaggy »

Thanks guys, I will post some pics in the show n tell section soon.
Got it apart and it's in tremendous condition.
It's just not been used... (Q voice of Dick Dastardly...) Hehehe

Some parts I needed have come today so may do them and then take it for another zap
Fingers crossed the bludy sun comes out to play too, I'm getting nesh as I get old :o)
We are we're we are..
Mori Man
Blingmeister
Blingmeister
My Bike: ZXR400J2

Post by Mori Man »

Let us know how it goes , except the " sun " part as fear your onto plums :smt002

Been in bike shed all day hauling an engine out and fitting another - rain tomorrow so thankfully it's just bolting everything back on and filling with fluids - no test ride though :smt012
Nothing worse than having an H and not being able to scratch it !
Living life on the edge, SuPposedly
Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Top-shaggy »

Flat spot at just under 4000 sorted .. The rubber rings sealing the float valve had perished. Never had that happen before but after changing the broken one and others for good measure .. Voila.. Smooth as a babies on take off yay!

Interesting that you can't buy the seals separate for the L9 but you can on the earlier model (H).. Seals cost a whopping £0.68p each worked a treat against around £50 per carb to buy the seal in the set for the L model :)

I'm all made up... Just can't wait now for spring
Happy New Year people

mexwave
We are we're we are..
Top-shaggy
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Top-shaggy »

Well bike serviced, new mot and looking forward to giving it some miles this summer..yay biggrin

We are we're we are..