Just bought a 1994 ZXR400 in the States!

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

SigEquinox
My Bike: 94 ZXR400

Re: Just bought a 1994 ZXR400 in the States!

Post by SigEquinox »

Ok, will attempt again to find the frame number.

Here's a question, which may be hard to answer, but the cam chain is supposed to make noise, just not too much noise, right? Mine's pretty loud, although there's only 8k miles on the odometer. Is there some better way to determine if something needs adjusting with the cam chain other than just listening to it? It sounds loud to me, but for all I know, it's normal.

In fact, this may be my loudest bike. Between the cam chain noise, the aftermarket exhaust, and then this jet rush I hear when I go beyond 8k rpm, it's friggin' loud! I don't mind it, but just need to make sure I'm not on the gas near a cop :)

Saw a post that a loose cam chain you'd only hear at certain revs. I hear it all of the time. Maybe it's not the cam chain, but just the clutch? Ideas?
SigEquinox

Post by SigEquinox »

Ok, I cannot find the frame number -- I believe it was overwritten when a new VIN was assigned to the bike, likely when it was first brought into the states. That said, I am virtually positive this is a UK bike.

The engine # is: ZX400GE036105

The exhaust on the bike a Tsukigi Dexter and I'm thinking it's added some power. I will try to get the bike dyno'd one of these days.
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

frame number.jpg
The frame number is stamped on the headstock, so it is not possible to "overwrite" it. It would have to be removed by grinding, and that would be obvious by the marks or the lack of casting marks. A dyno check is expensive, but it does confirm that the carbs are set up properly, and also gives that value of the BHP at the rear wheel...which is where it counts!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SeattleZXR
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400

Post by SeattleZXR »

My local Dyno shop only charges $50 to run the bike. If you have him make adjustments it can be expensive but if I do them myself it is very cheap.
SigEquinox

Post by SigEquinox »

Well this sucks. My 1994 ZXR400 had a catastrophic failure just 70 miles after buying it. Has approximately 7k miles on it. Am wondering if I should try to fix or search for a new engine. Would also love to know what caused this, but I'm not sure how to do that. Opinions appreciated. Here's what my mechanic wrote:

So the diagnosis is bad. A connecting rod snapped in half and blew a whole through the engine case. Most likely debris from the break damaged other parts. I'm not sure what would cause such severe damage on such a low mileage engine. No oil would have definitely caused it but the oil is only a a quart or so low now. Most likely low from exiting the engine through the hole in the engine case.
SigEquinox

Post by SigEquinox »

Yeah, I've made my decision -- I want to buy an engine, preferably clean and low mileage, definitely a UK spec engine. If anyone knows of any, please let me know. Thanks in advance!