Just bought a 1994 ZXR400 in the States!

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

SigEquinox
My Bike: 94 ZXR400

Just bought a 1994 ZXR400 in the States!

Post by SigEquinox »

Pretty sure it's a UK bike because the speedo & odometer are MPH (although the speedo also shows km/h secondarily). But I am curious about it's origin. The VIN is full length (not a short JDM VIN), but it begins with ROCJDR94AHGB23... what the heck kind of VIN is that? I google'd around and RO seems to be the country code for Saudi Arabia... is that even possible?

Any help or things to look for on the bike so I can figure out its origin would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-SigEquinox
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Re: Just bought a 1994 ZXR400 in the States!

Post by CaNsA »

check this out.

viewforum.php?f=69
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
SigEquinox

Post by SigEquinox »

What is the 'frame' number? This is not the VIN, is it? If not, where can I find the frame number? It's not on my CA title. Can I look somewhere on the bike?
SigEquinox

Post by SigEquinox »

I think the frame number is the VIN. But I think my VIN was re-created at some point, because it doesn't match what a normal ZXR400 VIN/frame number would look like. It's R0CJDR94AHGBxxxxx -- probably re-vin'd when it came into the States. Don't know what to do from here to further investigate it's origins. Ah well.
SigEquinox

Post by SigEquinox »

I do have another question -- since this is likely a UK bike, should it be 65hp? I need to check the CDI to be sure, yes? Look for blue sticker with letter M. If it is a blue sticker M, should it be 65hp?
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400L5

Post by Ewetea »

Hi. These bikes can vary their spec over the years due to owners adding and changing parts.
First: Is there a triangle on the frame where it changes from horizontal to vertical? If yes, then it is an H model (there are 2 of them). If it is plain, it is an L model (there are 9 of them).
Next: Is there a slider control to energize the lights on the right hand control switch? If yes, then it was manufactured for sale in the UK. If there is no slider, and the lights come on as soon as the ignition is switched ON, then it is a "grey" import - it was manufactured for use in Japan.
CDI unit: if it is an L or M then it should be a full power unit. If it is an A, then that restricts the power or revs to ensure that a certain speed is not exceeded.
65bhp: that is the output quoted by the manufacturer, who usually measures the power at the crankshaft, to give the best possible figure, ignoring the losses through the gearbox and final drive.
All these comments are generalities as there are exceptions to each.
A UK registration document details the year the bike was manufactured, and the year it was registered. If the dates are similar then it was manufactured for sale in the UK. If they are different, then it is likely to be an import. Does your paperwork give you this information? Does the previous owner have any information on its history?
If there are requirements for your bike to have a speedo in KPH, or the lights to be energised as soon as the ignition is turned on, or you want a full power CDI then an appeal on this website for those items can be made with results.
Remember: a picture can speak a thousand words.
SeattleZXR
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400

Post by SeattleZXR »

I have a ZXR in the states too. There aren't many.
SigEquinox

Post by SigEquinox »

Ewetea -- thanks for the stuff to look into:

1. It's definitely a 1994 L4. At least it's registered as a 94 and it looks exactly like pictures of L4s I see on the net.

2. Yes, you can turn the lights completely off. The speedo also has MPH. So I'm pretty sure this was a UK bike.

3. I still need to look at get the letter from the CDI box. That said, I rode it about 40 miles today and it's fast... really fast for a 400. Certainly faster than my JDM RVF400 (although the RVF seems to have better mid-range). But from 8k RPM on, it feels much faster than the RVF and the CBR400RR I've ridden.

4. I don't have any documentation from the UK to check. All I have is the US title, which has the engine number and the VIN (frame number?). And the VIN is bizarre. I think at some point in the bikes life, probably to get it imported here, it was assigned a new VIN and that VIN was imprinted onto the frame. The previous owner doesn't have any more info than I do -- I don't think he asked these questions from whomever he bought it from.

What's the best way for me to post a pic? Do I have to host it somewhere and then reference it?

It also has an aftermarket pipe (I'll post the name of it later)... so I have a feeling it was re-jetted and tuned after the pipe. Like I said, it is significantly faster once you hit 8k RPM than any other 400 I've ever ridden. Loving the bike so far -- it feels bigger than the RVF400, but not quite as big as my CBR600RR, but in about 10 minutes of riding I adjusted to it and it felt great. Tires are from 2011 though, so I want to get some new ones on before I really push it cornering.
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Ewetea »

Some interesting comments there. Isn't there a blanket speed limit of 55mph in the States? In which case, a full power CDI is no use to you! Just remove the bolt holding the seat down and the CDI will be revealed underneath.
The frame number is stamped on the headstock, which is the fat tube at the front of the frame supporting the top and bottom yokes. The number appears on the off side, except that since you ride on the right, it will be the nearside! That number should be there regardless of what other identification marks are present. If it has been allocated a VIN number then that must be stamped separately.
The engine number (for reference) is stamped on the crankcase at the front. But it is hidden behind the radiator. To view it, try removing one of the side panels and peering in with a torch, You may have to reach in with something abrasive to just clean the area and make the number stand out - you can't remove it because it too has been stamped.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the zxr experience!
Ewetea
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Ewetea »

Forgot to comment on the photo. I'm a bozo with computers, but I think that the photo cannot be Megabytes big. It needs to be recorded in Kilobytes to be acceptable to the system. Then there is a tab at the bottom of the reply frame marked "attachments" which allows you to add files ie photos.
If that doesn't work you need someone better informed!
SeattleZXR

Post by SeattleZXR »

Actually in some places in the US the speed limits are 75mph and there's a stretch in Texas that is 85 or 90 or something. Plus, we have a lot of tracks that are open on the weekends for people to test their bikes on. There is a lot of reasons we might want our bikes to travel at high rates of speed.
SigEquinox

Post by SigEquinox »

Trying to post pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SigEquinox

Post by SigEquinox »

I can get the engine number easily (it's on the Title). I still am unclear as to whether a frame number is different than the VIN. If so, I don't know exactly where to look for it. Is there a pic showing where it somewhere around here?

I will also get the letter from the CDI and name of exhaust.
SigEquinox

Post by SigEquinox »

SeattleZXR wrote:Actually in some places in the US the speed limits are 75mph and there's a stretch in Texas that is 85 or 90 or something. Plus, we have a lot of tracks that are open on the weekends for people to test their bikes on. There is a lot of reasons we might want our bikes to travel at high rates of speed.
Yeah, we have up to 70-75 in places around here, plus like you mentioned, there's the track.

Of course, I would never exceed these limits. :excited
SeattleZXR

Post by SeattleZXR »

The vin is the stamped letters/numbers on the head tube. When the bike was titled in the states somebody most likely created a vin. There are few reasons for doing that. Most of them have to do with making it easier to get the title. Other countries done always have the same amount of letters/numbers so when you try to title in the U.S. It just gets screwed up in the system. That's the most common reason.
What ever is stamped on the head tube will tell you where the bike came from.