New Member, Seeking opinions & cost knowledge.

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

Lewis D-B
My Bike: Dont have it yet

New Member, Seeking opinions & cost knowledge.

Post by Lewis D-B »

Hi, I have decided to buy a zxr400. It is going to be my first bike apart from 10 years ago when i had a tzr50 but i dont think that counts. I have a budget of approx £1500 i am trying to decide if i am better off buying a reasonably good condition bike for £1500 or alternitevely spend £500 on a bit of an old dog and spend the remaining £1000 on getting it sorted. I figured even a reasonably good bike for £1500 will still be 15-25 years old so will most likely need something doing to it. I am curious to find out how much it would cost to get a engine rebuild and suspension tune up etc? basically how far will £1000 get me in the zxr tuning world ? Thanks in advance.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: New Member, Seeking opinions & cost knowledge.

Post by banner001 »

best to go with the better bike IMO and spend as much cash as you can (you can afford to be picky), remember that its an old bike IT WILL BREAK DOWN ON YOU, the better ones have fewer miles (i.e. under 25k miles) and are newer bikes (15 years old L9 models), at least this way you get to know what it should be like, so when (not if...) it breaks down you can fix it.

better to get a good looking runner with low miles, and fix bits before they completely fail, then to get a bike thats constantly in bits...especially if you need it/want to ride it.

depending on the amount of stuff that needs changing an engine rebuild in parts alone ranges from £100 for just gaskets and a few seals, to £500 if it needs new rings/hone/shell bearings etc.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
richyrd5
My Bike: 400h

Post by richyrd5 »

There is a real sweet h1 on the bay in mint colours(gwb)....looks real nice and its low miles as well...if you don't mind the early models I would definitely go to that..its a belter biggrin
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

I would agree with banner. Buy the best you can as can save money in The long run. Just be aware about part supply with the H models. Not had any issue myself but quite frequently people post here looking for hard to get H parts
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

you'll get better replies on here than you did on facebook lol

I'd go for a later model, for £1500 you should be able to get a decent zxr400, just might have to wait.
have you checked out the buyers guide?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.