Newbie ZXR400 Owner Essex/Herts Border

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

jonno_36

Newbie ZXR400 Owner Essex/Herts Border

Post by jonno_36 »

Morning All, Great Forum :excited

Jon, 35, Essex/Herts border, riding for nearly 3 years, other bike is a '09 Naked Bandit 1250

Wasn't particularly looking for another bike, but was approached by a girl at work in December 2015 who had slightly neglected her ZX. Due to a house move, getting married etc it had been left un loved under a cover on the pavement for 12 months.

I went along, had a look, and went against all I had ever learnt about buying and selling vehicles... made an offer without riding or hearing it run (an offer I could get back by breaking for parts if i couldn't get it running)

The bike is 2002, 15k miles, by no means a minter but very original with loads of history

The bike was trailored home, and i got stuck in over the winter, started with the basics....

Oil Change
Plugs
Air/Fuel filters
Fresh Fuel
Coolant change/flush
Chain/sprockets
front brake rebuild (binding)
Battery
Iffy earth connection on the fuel pump
Removed very annoying alarm
.... And a few other cosmetics, some local yobbos had pushed it over during the twelve months, cracking the front mud guard, busting an indicator and bending a lever.

She fired up without any issues and went through an MOT with no problems

I was going to sell her on, but she has really grown on me, yes i'm 6'2" but it just has so much character. The poor bandit with its easy start fuel injection is now just boring and has done very little mileage this year, i really enjoy getting out on the ZX when i can, and getting encouraging comments from other bikers.

There are few little niggles to iron out, one of which is "hanging revs" but i will get some videos uploaded and posted in the appropriate forum section, and hopefully you guys can help me sort it

The little ZX is now a KEEPER!

Regards

Jon
ImageImage
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: Newbie ZXR400 Owner Essex/Herts Border

Post by Miles »

Hello Jon and welcome to the forum. Very nice looking Zxr, which, more importantly, seems to have all its original parts.

As for the hanging revs, you should have a look at ,either or all, air leak (carb rubbers, air box), mixture screws or dirty carbs.

One thing I've learnt from owning these bikes is 99% of the time it the carbs and even when it isn't, it usually is.
fstarocka

Post by fstarocka »

In exactly the same boat, bought one from far away, head off.. Ordered new rings from China, setup and got it going, revs hang, rough idle, stalling, have new jets in... I made rubber pads same cut out as intake ports sealing off the shoddy oem design.. Still no luck :( might have to sonic clean carbs ..had some stubborn gunk in pilots I had to get out with thin wire..

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

nice looking L9 :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
deano1351
My Bike: Anything with two wheels

Post by deano1351 »

Cool looking bike, looks like you got a bargain there, they are addictive, I had the choice of keeping the zxr400 or my zzr1200, I sold the 1200 :smt003 My two pence worth with the hanging revs is its probably something to do with carb rubbers, I had mine off a few times and they looked fine but when you give them a good pull the splits appear, also its good to tighten the 4 clamps on them to the 3-5mm gap that it says in the manual, its normally something really simple that takes months to figure out (in my case anyway)