New girl on the block...rebuilding a ZXR400!

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

KawasakiGirl90
My Bike: ZXR400L2

New girl on the block...rebuilding a ZXR400!

Post by KawasakiGirl90 »

Hi there,

Took me ages to figure out how to post!

Undertaken a pretty big project, my o/h and I bought a ZXR400 L2 a few years back, a rough runner, to rebuild. Had lots of Kawasaki's over the years, currently just this one and a super stock 2004 ZX10R.

So here's the deal - we've stripped it down, we're good with the standard stuff - chain and sprockets, plugs, calipers & hoses etc but the gubbins of the engine is pretty new :)

We have a car mechanic friend working on it with us, but I wanted to know if there's an engine rebuild kit, seals etc. available anywhere to buy? I couldn't find one online, but wondered if anyone knows a good place to start with the parts?

Also, whilst it's in pieces, are there any parts that you'd recommend be upgraded from standard? It's not gotta win races, but will be going on track.

TIA :)

FYI we're in the North West
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Re: New girl on the block...rebuilding a ZXR400!

Post by Miles »

Cradleys for parts
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: New girl on the block...rebuilding a ZXR400!

Post by banner001 »

hi there, the forum is having some issues at the moment...we are working on it.

as for parts, they are generally cheap enough that any dealer will be better than pattern parts, and about the same cost, cradley kawasaki in birmingham is the one most people on here use, they are very good and very fast delivery.

as for racing parts, strip down your forks and rebuild, i would buy a rebuildable shock thats in good condition and look at replacing all your suspension linkage bearings, brakes will need new seals/pistons, get braided hoses, that should get you on a decent feeling bike, if you want more power you will need to go down a full ram-air setup, maybe flatslide carbs, skimmed head, custom ignition, adjustable cams etc...depends on how big your budget is.

you can start ditching all your lights/indicators/horn if its never gonna see the road, your rear bit of subframe, rear pegs etc. make a racing loom, ditch the generator for total loss, and if you have a starter roller you can ditch the starter motor and gearing too.

thats gonna get you most of the way :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003