realnuts says hi!

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

realnuts
My Bike: ZXR400L

realnuts says hi!

Post by realnuts »

hi everybody!

I am "realnuts" from Belgium and I have a story you probably heard before. Back in 2008, the ZXR400L (95) was my very first bike. I didn't know anything technical about bikes, so i didn't know i bought a piece of total cr*p...

I fell 2 times with the bike, every time I changed the colour. When I bought it, it was white, after the first crash, it was green and after the second crash it was black. I learned to work on it the hard way, I just had to :smt003
I learned to tune carbs, replace clutches, adjust play on all kind of cables, work on suspension, ...
Now, I dare to say I know quite a bit about motorcycles. In 2009 I sold the ZXR400 and bought a new GSX-R750. I started to love riding again :smt003
Now, I have a BMW K1300R, a Ducati 998 and I still have the 750, which I use as a track-only bike.

Somehow, the 400 remained in the back of my head. I cannot explain why, but I loved it. It was different. I could follow others on more modern 600's and even 1000's (but maybe the rider has something to do with this as well :smt005 ). It made me love the technique behind a motorcycle. Because of that bike, I started thinking of track-days... I always regretted selling it.

So now, a few weeks ago, I bought a ZXR400L from 1992. :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
I want to make it a full race bike! I follow ASS-racing on facebook, and they seem to have some interesting stuff and philosophies. I want to tackle the complete bike and work on it step by step. That's where you guys come in as well :smt002
I want to change the exhaust, new suspension, better cooling, maybe a big bore kit, other wheels, ... you name it, I want it :D
Of course, not everything all at once, I don't have the financial power for that :smt010

So, how would you start? I was thinking, getting the engine out, complete revision, maybe other cams and big bore. Where can I find certain parts?
Which exhaust gives the best weight to power ratio?
flatslide carbs?
Suspension: ohlins, Wilbers, Nitro, Bitubo, YSS, ... So many options, but what is easy to set up?
Lightweight wheels: do they exist? What will fit?
Braking: RCS19 master cylinder, that I know without hesitation, very happy on my gixxer with that. But other calipers? (cbr900 nissin?)
Cooling: bigger radiator? I even heard about oil cooler removal???
Electronics: Is there something as a race CDI? Quickshifter?
Any weight gains? I heard about steel out - alu in

So you see, enough to talk about :smt003
maybe too much for a first post :smt017

thanks in advance!
realnuts
My Bike: ZXR400L

Re: realnuts says hi!

Post by realnuts »

so, this forum is dead? :smt017
bendog66
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: ZXR400 L4, ZX6R F1 track

Post by bendog66 »

We're waiting for pictures... It's no introduction without them winks
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Also most of your question have already been asked and answered.

Use the forum search box. Your'll find stacks of information on each topic there
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

true. dat.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003