New here

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

Yannick
My Bike: ZXR 400 1992

New here

Post by Yannick »

Goodmorning riders!

My name is Yannick, owner of a ZXR 400 built in 1992 (same built year as me :excited ). Doing all of the maintenance myself, its more fun and way cheaper.
I've got 2 of the same engines, one with a problem and the other one with an issue. Winter is coming and with winter comes the time for repairs and maintenance.

The issue is actually a question; going to replace the CCT but the original CCT of the L2 model (1992, part no 12048-1096) is out of production and nowhere to be found for sale. Taking a look at the schematics of the Camshaft & Tensioner of the L2 model (MSP and others), it shows a separate CCT for the L3 model (1993, part no 12048-1125) which is still available but some of the website which sell the CCT show that it doesn't fit the L2 model. I just want to be sure the L3 CCT fits the L2 model, before ordering.

The other engine makes an agonizing metal on metal sound at a specific amount of rpm, 6-7k. While riding it, it doesn't seem to be that hard of a noise, but when revving in neutral while standing next to it, it is deafening. Started out as a small noise and got worse and worse, hope I didn't kept driving for too long.
Before starting to rip the whole engine apart, it would be nice to know where to look for.

Greetings,

Yannick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: New here

Post by banner001 »

Welcome. L3 onwards CCT will fit your bike just fine.as for the rattle, it could be anything from CCT, cam chain, cam guides, clutch, top end or bottom end...I suggest an inspection of the clutch, cam chain area and top end first.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Yannick
My Bike: ZXR 400 1992

Post by Yannick »

Thanks for the response. The sound of the engine is not a knock nor rattle, it sounds more like a grinder. Somebody told me this might be a crankshaft bearing, could that be right ?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

it could be...but its all a bit like having a pain in your stomach, checking webMD and getting a diagnosis from "chilies dont agree with you", to a stomach ulcer, to a stage 3 carcinoma...

there are not many sources of movement in these little engines, eliminate top end, clutch, chain first before delving any deeper...
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003