Greetings from Greece.

One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

Michael Kara
My Bike: ZXR 400 L7

Greetings from Greece.

Post by Michael Kara »

Hello folks.

I'm a new bike driver(only got my licence 2 months ago).

Even thought I got an unlimited licence(I'm 27), I limited myself to 400cc as my first bike. Getting your licence and actually learning how to drive on the street are two completely different things.

I fell in love with the ZXR 400 because of the looks and the beautiful sound it makes. So naturally I've been stalking your forums for a while now for information as I was searching to buy a ZXR for myself.

And finally, 6 days ago I finally did it! Bought an L7 with 40k km(probably 60k turned bckwards).
And obviously after all this reading and research, I went ahead and (probably) bought a lemon.

Might post pictures of it once I leave work.

In the meantime, its a pleasure being here.

Cheers,
Michael
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Greetings from Greece.

Post by banner001 »

Greetings Michael, there is nothing on these bikes that is too hard to fix, there are many spare parts for almost all of the bike...any issues post them up and we will get you on the road again :D
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
Michael Kara

Post by Michael Kara »

Hello Banner, and thanks for the warm welcome.

She does have a few issues. I'm no mehanic, so I'm basically trying to match the symptoms with previous threads showing similar situations.

Will most likely compile all of them and post on the corresponding forum pages(startup , fuel, etc).

The previous owner told me that the bike was sitting for a year without being moved, so I have a pretty good idea on where to start.

So far, I've been loving riding the bike. I'm rather easy going due to my lack of experience and the terrible road quality in my area, but the sound and sensation is addicting to say the least.

Cheers,
Michael.
schnecks
My Bike: zxr400

Post by schnecks »

Welcome!
Don't worry. Most people talk about a "Lemon" bike when they should say " I don want to do much repairing."
Michael Kara

Post by Michael Kara »

Hello!

Thing is, even after doing all this reading and searching on how the bike should sound and feel, I was so excited the first time I drove her that I almost pissed myself.

So without much thought, I went ahead for a second test drive and decided to take a " leap of faith".

The gearbox felt spotless, cluch and throtle too. Lumpy "uncoordinated" idle at cold start, but got much better after the bike heated up.

Has developed a few more issues since then. From what I'm reading here, might be running rich. We'll see soon.
Michael Kara

Post by Michael Kara »

That's how the bike currently looks like
https://ibb.co/pnpK4CS
https://ibb.co/3RRvw8F

Previous owner somehow installed an undertail exhaust system (probably custom or from a different bike)

She sounds quite rough and seems to run very rich (if I try to start on choke all I hear is a click).