One for you newbies to introduce yourselves and show us your ZXR!

Moderator: Moderators

rob70

Post by rob70 »

Hi all,

I took possetion of a 1989 h1 model today. Alright its got no fairing but just under a years T&T new back tyre plugs discs and pads good. Riding it home from Kings Lynn (100 miles) the smiles just got bigger.

I did have a 750 teapot so this whole racing bike thing is new to me, and I got a whole load ZXR questions so I hope y'all can help.

Just to start - my throttle response is a bit slow ie if I blip the throttle and let it off it takes a few secs for revs to fall where do I start?

Also I gotta get an H frame for a top fairing how does it go on ( I realy dont know).

Thanks if you've read this far, my bikes on this link although the pictur realiy doesn't do it justice.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-KAWASAKI-GRE ... dZViewItem

see yah
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

heya mate, welcome to the forum! Questions just fire away, someone here will know, they usually do!

Throttle response could be unbalanced carbs. What does it sound like on tickover? is it nice and smooth running or a bit lumpy? If its running lumpy then id say you need carbs balancing.

No idea about faring fitting as i have an L model :)
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

hi matey, welcome to the forum, if you check out the microfiche it seems the subframe bolts to the headstock? http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/images/hmicro ... bframe.gif
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
Dylan
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Dylan »

Whack a load of carb cleaner through on a bike that old thats been standing, then balance the carbs. See if you can find some mug on this forum thats got a set and try and meet up with them, otherwise a dealer will rip you off! If your near Bury St Edmunds you can borrow mine...
Dylan
rob70

Feeling the Love

Post by rob70 »

Hi,

What a response what a socialable lot you zxr's are. The seller reconned he'd had the carbs balanced ( by a mate of course ) but some would just say it would'nt they but he seemed sraight up.

Tickover seems fine although it does have a race can (modified by owner to get through mot).

Thanks for the link masterofinsanity it does indeed looks like it maybe it bolts over the clock metalwork.

Any idea what a std can would cost ( I just haven't got the hang of racing thing yet ) cause this is one putting my teeth on edge.

Thx for all the help I still have lots to learn Grasshopper.

Rolf
Dylan
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Dylan »

Could always buy a beowulf exhaust, it has a removable baffle so legal until you pull it out, then put it back in for the MOT. If this bloke has modified the exhaust for the MOT it is probably making it run like a dog. A beowulf exhaust was the cheapest I could find, £130 for a stainless one delivered.
rob70

beowulf exhaust

Post by rob70 »

Dylan,

The prob is definately carb based cause my tick over is allover the place.

My carbon exhaust Is an all in one. Is the beowolf just a can it sounds too cheap to be a system. I'll Google it and see if I can find one.

Another brucie bonus - I filled up for the first time after setting the trip 220Km and change from a tenner 60mpg never had that out of the GSX750F.
rob70

Post by rob70 »

Oops