corby kawasaki.

Post your reviews and recommendations of dealers here, also links section for Dealer networks.

Moderator: Moderators

Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

corby kawasaki.

Post by Daniel.p »

Last edited by Daniel.p on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride it like you stole it
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: corby kawasaki.

Post by cargo »

You dont need to take the head off to replace the cam chain...................and it's perfectly reasonable to replace the rubber gasket it'e easy to damage when removing it especially if the cover has not been removed for a long time.

If they are a Kawasaki dealer they will charge you full price for genuine parts. Cradley would give 10% if you were a ZXRworld menber

You should have asked for a price for the labour before giving them the bike.............they will have a pre determined time for doing that job.

Did they split the crankcases to get the old chain off and the new one on ? ............might explain the labour cost

With an engine out of the frame I reckon I could do it in under 3 hours perhaps even less and I'd have shimed it too.
Daniel.p
My Bike: Zxr400 93

Post by Daniel.p »

The head had to come off to replace a guide they did infact take the head off just a mix up i picked the bike up yesterday drove 10 miles broke down think he timed it wrong not really sure but it sounded disgusting so bikes back at mechanics again -.-
Ride it like you stole it
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Sorry.................. but there is NO need to remove the cylinder head to change a cam chain.

All the chain guides can be removed and replaced with the head in place.

If you don't believe me I'm sure others will confirm.
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

am i right in thinking you split the old one, wire the end of the new one to it, then crank it round until the new one in on, and the old one it off, then just rivet the new one together? or can you just lift it off and over the sprockets?
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

The camshafts lift out and the chain will drop down and can be slipped off the bottom of the crankshaft.
It's not unkown to grind away a bit of crankcase to help but it can be done without

Again NO need to remove the head