Kawasaki Hong Kong

Post your reviews and recommendations of dealers here, also links section for Dealer networks.

Moderator: Moderators

GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Kawasaki Hong Kong

Post by GibboN »

Hey guys,

New to the forum and fairly new to biking all round really.
Quick and sad back story- got my license 4 weeks ago and pretty much straight off the bat my 94 zxr400-m4 shat a brick. Stalled everytime I let the clutch out.
I knew the bike had issues when I bought it (paid £1490 for it which is less than half the cost of a 10 year old 250 out here) and paid a small local shop to give the carbs a clean and re-balance 6 months ago which helped no end but seems they didn't get it right.

Since had the bike in the only official HK dealership, 'Titanic Moto' (http://www.ibike.com.hk/02_market/titan ... /index.htm) and they've done the following work with prices (converted from HKD to GBP).

Pickup service £19
Inspection and Service £124
Clean carbs £82
Reseat valves and balance with carbs £166
Spark plugs (4 pcs) £13
O-rings for carb floats (4 pcs) £33
Main jet £13
Head cover gasket £18
Fuel pump tap £23
Carbs diaphragm £25
Fuel cord £16

All in about £540

Interested to see what you guys think of the prices, whether they're way up, down or about right.
Expecting prices to look rather exorbitant given motoring out here in HK is a bit of a luxury. They've got the public transprot system so perfect anything on two wheels is either a job or a hobby. Some of the "parts" listed may not make perfect sense- where I can I've amended the description given to me by the fella from the dealership into specific english. I wouldn't be suprised if one or two of them are a bit of a mystery item...

Expensive by UK standards?
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Re: Kawasaki Hong Kong

Post by ross46 »

Well you can check the prices on here
http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/ka ... 1995&ca=GB
There English prices, most of the stuff looks about right for parts, though £82 to to lean the carbs?! For the sake of a couple of hours and £5 for some carb cleaner I would do them myself
jimsym
My Bike: ZXR 400 L9

Post by jimsym »

I know my local main dealer has a labour rate of £50 per hour. Cleaning carbs was quoted as two hours work.

Im suprised the valves needed reseating, had it done many miles?

Either way, no those prices would certainly not be out of place on a main dealer price list here in the UK.
GibboN
My Bike: ZXR400 M4 ('94)

Post by GibboN »

Thanks very much guys, nice to hear it's on board.

They originally quoted me £65 to clean the carbs but when they got into them they upped the price- one of the guys there said they were the dirtiest carbs he'd ever seen.
The bike's 19 years old but only got 11,000km on the clock. I put it down to a little abuse and way too much standing time.
I'd like to have a go cleaning the carbs and suspect I will eventually but moving house and a few other things meant I just don't have the time at the minute.

Took the bike out properly for the first time last night and loved it. Stalled it quite a few times though- seems it doesn't enjoy pulling away on low revs... I'd read that before but I had no idea quite how much it would dislike low revs.