Seastars superbikes, norfolk

Post your reviews and recommendations of dealers here, also links section for Dealer networks.

Moderator: Moderators

icklelea
My Bike: tomos moped

Seastars superbikes, norfolk

Post by icklelea »

Have any of you other guys experienced this dealer? they were recommended to me by a friend and i really feel like they do nothing but take the mick! any time they have my bike (which is frequently as everytime i take it away it comes back with more faults) i just feel like i am a completely worthless waste of space, how dare i question their diagnosis and of course i have to wait 3 months to be seen, there are other people far more important than me!

the icing on the cake was this morning! my bike was collected by my insurance co yesterday and taken to seastars. i rung them up to let them know it was coming in and some woman who knows nothing about anything answered, said she would pass on the message and they would get back to me. i didnt hear anything, they would have had my bike by about 11/12ish yesterday. so iv just rung them this morning (as they've had my bike nearly 24 hours) and apparently "i need to book the bike in before they can do anything to it" WTF?!?! if thats the case why on earth did no one ring me when they got it!? ok.. can i book it in then please?! yeah sure... the earliest they can even look at it - and wont necessarily be able to mend it depending what the fault is, will be saturday! which ok is quicker than iv ever been able to book it in there before, but that means im left without transport for nearly a week because "as im sure you can understand we are VERY busy"

ok rant over!! sorry!! they just annoy me soooooooooo much!! :smt013
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

if you're getting it fixed through you're insurance then complain to them and tell them you will take your insurance elsewhere in future if they don't get it sorted or hire you a bike to keep you going.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
icklelea

Post by icklelea »

hmm my insurance just collected me as i have breakdown recovery as part of my package, they arent actually paying for the repairs... i dont really have the same stand point of complaining in this case do i!? :smt017
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

ok, maybe not why don't you tell them if they don't sort it you will get someone else to collect the bike and take it elsewhere and charge them for the transport?
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
icklelea

Post by icklelea »

can i do that!!? im such a wimp where bike shops are concerned :smt022 :oops:
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

tell em if they don't sort it zxrworld will get involved :smt004
icklelea

Post by icklelea »

aww bless thats really sweet :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

my man is coming up to see me on thursday... i think i might send him over!! he has a bit more authority being 6 foot 5 in comparison to my teeny 5 foot!!
icklelea

Post by icklelea »

I am SO pissed off right now!!!!

Seastars are shafting me atm!!! :smt013

Problem 1) i took my bike to a garage by parents house to have my down pipes replaced. when i got the bike back it was then revving at 2000 for about 10 seconds before dropping back down to 1000 whenever i had been driving around in low gears. seastars told me it was because of my restrictors. i didnt believe them, but off i went and took them out. its now even worse (which i guess is logical as theres more petrol going through) if iv got a full tank of petrol it will rev at 4000 in neutral. if im in 1st gear and have the clutch out she will drive herself at 20 mph with me not even touching the accelerator. once i am revving faster than about 3000 shes fine.

so iv just rung seastars and told them they're muppets and they're claiming its my fault its revving high and that because i chose to take the restrictors out - even on their advice they are taking no responsibility for the fact the bike is now worse. they've said they will take it back in and have another look at it, but that they will be chargin me exactly as they would as if it were a new problem. Now im pissed. they charge me £50 to tell me its my restrictors - i take them out on their advice (because they were going to charge me another £50 to remove them) they are claiming no responsibilty for the fact that they have incorrectly diagnosed my bike and now all the problems are mine because on their advice i took my restrictors out

problem 2) after having taken my bike in to have a look at revs on getting her back she was tempramental with starting. every now and then esp if shes just been sat there she wont start. everything is dead. if i stand her up and wiggle the handle bars she starts! obviously a fault in a wire somewhere! unti the day she just wouldnt start regardless how much i wiggled. i rung seastars who told me to buy a new battery - so i did. fitted battery, still dead :smt009 took her into seastars who without my permission fitted another new battery and et voila because she started i then had to pay £80 for their labour and a new battery! (WTF!?!?!?) so since then on 3 occasions she hasnt started. pick her up wiggle her around and off she goes. because iv been living in milton keynes iv not been able to do anything about it. i got my ex boyf (boyf at the time) to ring them and say i was pissed and id be ringing and they said they would refund battery charge etc.

iv just rung them and they wont refund anything because when the bike left the garage it was working fine. they are prepared to take it back in and have another look at it but they will charge me labour to find the problem they should have found in the first place.

now im a logical girl... i can see a faulty wire isnt the easiest thing to find, and if you put a new battery in it and it works your not going to keep looking... and i can see that my revs will be worse when i take my restrictors out.... But am i being irrational to think they are treating me like toad?!!?

I just cannot afford to be faffing around with my bike, if i end up spending lots of money on her again this year im going to have to sell it. i just cant afford it! i bought her last september and i must have spent nearly £1500 on repairs alone since i got her!! im a student! thats half my income for the year!!

ok ill shh now! any advice would be greatly appreciated! if theres any bits i can do myself im willing to bloody try!!! HELP
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

first bit of advice and probably the most important, DONT go back to seastars!!!!!

you obviously have an electrical fault if the bikes dead sometimes and othertimes it fires up when you wiggle it, i would suggest as you have a new battery that there is definitely a loose earth wire somewhere! trace the earth from the battery and check all connections, check the kill switch and starter button wiring. check the starter motor connections, the 30AMP fuse connections and all connectors under the seat.

that'll keep you busy for a bit! let me know how you get on.
icklelea

Post by icklelea »

:smt017 :smt017 you lost me on the loose earth wire :smt002 how much of the bike do i need to pull to bits to be able to get to all the different wires? iv got no issues doing it, but im off to new york next week so it will have to wait!

im going to get onto trading standards see what they recommend cos as far as im concerned im being taken for a mug and im not impressed!!
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin

rip all the fairings off ! :smt003 start with the seat cos you can access most of the main wiring from there.
Xphyral
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by Xphyral »

I've only ever ordered things online and over the phone with seastars and they seemed pretty cool, i didnt even know they did garage work.

As for your dodgy starting problem, if it's only after you've been wiggling the handlebars it'll light up then i would check the block plug leading from the ignition barrel, you'll find it if you take off the tank and airbox, the male and female connectors have a tendency to corrode. if not that then it could a split in that cable somewhere. The zxr usually pulls this cable when you turn your handle bars which is why i'm fairly certain it's a problem in that area.

Revs, i think i said something about this before and to just change your idle speed by small amounts. You want to try get it idling at about 1700 when the temperature gauge is reading about halfway up. It sounds atm as though somebody has set your warm temp idle speed far too high.

I'm always wary about garages, a lot of bike mechanics are only trained in servicing which doesnt really qualify them to start diagnosing problems with your bike( especially when their charging you money for it ). You can normally tell a good mechanic when you meet one which is why i prefer to find smaller repair shops or breakers with a mechanic i can talk to.

The trouble with having an open mind, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
tng21
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: zxr 400 h1

Re: Seastars superbikes, norfolk

Post by tng21 »

hmmm glad i looked at this thread as im in dereham, not far from norwich and thought about taking my bike to seastars ( if i really need to ) but by the looks of it i shant bother.

On the other hand my friend has ordered parts from there and everything was fine, but by the sounds of it, if you want it fixed, dont take it to seastars. I know i wont be lol