Ignition advance?

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZZR1100C3

Ignition advance?

Post by gubbs »

For increased compression engines ..
I've taken the base gasket off so what do I need to prevent premature detonation?
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)
Vespa et4 (almost broken)

My FleaBay

"Save the planet, eat a vegan .." - Clarkson
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Re: Ignition advance?

Post by RedexRobB »

use higher octane fuel? Or is it lower you need to use? :smt017
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

you want higher to stop nocking, but i dout out the pump stuff is really going to make that much diffrence

as for the advancer i havent a clue dont like playing with timing ect :oops:
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by Ballsout Racing »

rene wrote:but i dout out the pump stuff is really going to make that much diffrence
My tuners, Dynotech, said it's a must to use high octane pump fuel (to stop detonation), they recond the best was Shell Optimax, now called V power IIRC, and said it would give an extra bhp over other pump fuels :smt001
rene
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: kwack ZXR750L1

Post by rene »

with higher compresion i can understand why you would but out the pump stuff is 2-3 extra octain. Is it going to make that much diffrence? Isnt race fuel somthing like 170 or somthing silly?

only reason that i know of (so could quite easly be other reasons) to use high octain fuel is to stop Knocking (detonation) what is caused by the fuel ignighting under compresion insted of when the spark goes off
ZXR750 L1
tail tidy, polished bits, custom paint job, k&n, dynojet, Full akropovik, down geared, GSXR calipers, hel brake lines front and rear & clutch line, maxtron resprung froks 120BHP

BikePics page-
http://www.bikepics.com/members/zxr400rene/
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

rene wrote: Is it going to make that much diffrence?
Yes, on a tuned ZXR engine, standard fuel has been known to do enough damage in one days track time requiring new pistons etc.
rene wrote:Isnt race fuel somthing like 170 or somthing silly?
No, not that high, have a look here for all the different types of race fuel: http://www.aaoil.co.uk/

Also, don't forget some classes won't allow race fuel, must be pump fuel, so the 400s are tuned for that :smt002
gubbs
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZZR1100C3

Post by gubbs »

Ballsout Racing wrote:
rene wrote: Is it going to make that much diffrence?
Yes, on a tuned ZXR engine, standard fuel has been known to do enough damage in one days track time requiring new pistons etc.
rene wrote:Isnt race fuel somthing like 170 or somthing silly?
No, not that high, have a look here for all the different types of race fuel: http://www.aaoil.co.uk/

Also, don't forget some classes won't allow race fuel, must be pump fuel, so the 400s are tuned for that :smt002
So you reckon, removing the base gasket and porting the head will be enough to warrant using higher ocane fuel or not?
zxr400 h2 (breaking)
zzr1100c3 (broken)
Vespa et4 (almost broken)

My FleaBay

"Save the planet, eat a vegan .." - Clarkson
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

gubbs wrote:So you reckon, removing the base gasket and porting the head will be enough to warrant using higher ocane fuel or not?
TBH, I don't tune engines and don't know what tolerances Dynotech use, but it will be as far as they can reliably go. I don't know to what extent your tuning compares to my tuners, sorry, just don't know.

However, if your local petrol station supplies higher octane, then why not use it, it's a little more money but in the end could save an expensive rebuild!
billy big skid

Post by billy big skid »

My engine has undercut barrels. It runs like a bag of shite on standard fuel, only Optimax will do.
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

what "are" undercut barrels ?