Race Kit Pistons & Rings now available

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Re: Race Kit Pistons & Rings now available

Post by AFM327 »

Thanks for the update, still waiting for my set of slugs. :(
Max4music
My Bike: zx7r / zxr400

Post by Max4music »

Really nice work all round
toecutter
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by toecutter »

AFM327 wrote:Thanks for the update, still waiting for my set of slugs. :(
sorry for the delay craig ,i hope you are happy with them ,i had news on the bigger piston rings on friday ,ill keep you informed as to what happens
and how is young mike doing with them
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

They look great, worth the wait. :excited They're headed to m motor builder tomorrow.
mick41zxr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400sp

Post by mick41zxr »

Been a bit, have had a few other projects on the go. Engines all buttoned up & cams dialed in hope to have it in the frame soon & some results posted.
AFM how's yours going & did that link work for you.
Regards,
MB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AFM327
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by AFM327 »

Got the cylinder bored, now I need to send everything off to get the crank balanced. The way things are going it will be done in time for the last race. Got a 4th on Sunday fighting for 3rd against another ZXR with a Beet 440 kit. Just need a little more speed to stay away, more motor will help, more corner speed will help more. :)
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

well what can i say
we dyno'd the new motor with the new pistons in yesterday
A mild tune ,Gas flow ,base gasket FITTED,standard carbs,jetted to a reasonable setting but we ran out of time ,kent cams,no ram air,no programmable ignition,no airbox so a very basic set up and 73 bhp.
Which is a massive gain with out all of the bells and whistles
ill post up the graph later but Dynopro racing in runcorn were over the moon with the results and i cant thank Chris and Mick enough for their help with this project
next we will be doing a full run up ,with all of the goodies ,a fully kitted bike
it'll probably go BANG but lets hope not
so craig and mick get those slugs into those motors and gettem running
Oh asnd craig i think the 58 mm problem is solved
cheers rob
R P Corse
CBT slow
CBT slow
My Bike: ZXR400 H1

Post by R P Corse »

nice work! I'd be interested in a set at some stage later in the year! Are these a straight swap for standard piston?
mick41zxr
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400sp

Post by mick41zxr »

Big B,
Not a straight swap. You will need to bore the cylinders & pay attention to the side clearances in the little end. A careful build will always help.
As with any race motor measure everything.
Regards,
MB
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

I've been keeping an eye on this project, looking good, well done
toecutter wrote: Oh asnd craig i think the 58 mm problem is solved
cheers rob
I may have missed this, but what was the problem? Ta
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

the rings are the problem ,( 58 mm) they are difficult to obtain with a small ring depth as most are 2.5 mm but i have solved it for 58.5 rings now so we can change the size of the piston
Ballsout Racing
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by Ballsout Racing »

toecutter wrote:the rings are the problem ,( 58 mm) they are difficult to obtain with a small ring depth as most are 2.5 mm but i have solved it for 58.5 rings now so we can change the size of the piston
Oh, OK, thanks. So, if I'm understanding this correctly that means no +1mm pistons and rings then? as allowed in F400 rules. That's a real shame if that's the case. I thought that would possibly be one of the bigger markets. :smt017

Although I seem to recall disscusion at the early stages that the rings would be made as well?
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

58 mm ring problem is now solved ,yes they were making them but they were having a problem for some reason ,i know the f400 is very important but we concentrated on the rules that only allow standard overbore sizes that are available from the manufacturers ,its an expensive old game this and my pocket will only stretch so far .
There have been many folk say they would take on this type of project but never do ,its not just the money its the time ,man everyone seems to dawdle along eventually getting it done ,it drives you nuts and i have to rum my own business inbetween .
Hey ho anyway the 58 ,s are now sorted ,im in the proces of doing the nc30/35 range and the er6 kwak (race spec two ring )
cheers rob
advectus
My Bike: fireblade(08)

Post by advectus »

So, canyou give us any idea of price?
gavinfdavies
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: gpz500s d5, zxr400 L5

Post by gavinfdavies »

I know the er6 has plated barrels, but would a big bore + replate allow oversize pistons do you think? I love my kawasakis, but I'm starting to have wet dreams about the new husky nuda 900... failing that I need to find some where that will allow me to put a turbosystem on finance!
I do 700 miles a week in all weathers including snow, that's roughly 35,000 miles a year, and some weekend warrior biker has the nerve to get out of his Audi at work to tell me to I was riding far too fast in the wet (over taking at 50... fast eh?).