My ZXR is back on the rock

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jonesyiom
My Bike: tomos moped

My ZXR is back on the rock

Post by jonesyiom »

Well the old ZXR finally arrived back, the final Friday before TT practice week.
A chap called Chris Petty brought it back from RMKD secret headquarters in deepest darkets corner of York to a Sunny Sunny Sun drenched Isle of Man.

The ZXR was pulled form the back of Chris’s van when he says, “You getting it sprayed?” “Yeah; Why?” “Well she has a few oily finger marks on the White fibreglass fairing”.
Well she rolled out and low and behold I thought it was feckin Dalmatian on wheels.
The cheap spray job would have been to lacquer over the spots and to leave it as that. One thing for sure is that it would have been a good conversational point and also something for the kids to point at and laugh and shout insults at me "dog boy, beast boy, dicked on a dog and that bikes a dog" are a few that spring to mind.

Gotta say, the fairings that Roger made were stunning. Granted, White fairings with black Oily finger marks never did them justice but once sprayed they were a proper thoughjob, cheers Rog. 4" taller and about 3" wide, if only there were medical procedures that could do the same thing.

Saturday morning the bike was up a Slick Performance as Roger had said a Dyno set up may be required to get the CV carbs set up, so I duly obliged.

After a few days I get a call from the Dyno guy, Robbie Sylvester (VRS) telling me one thing and another and it may need more work. Slick hires teh Dyno out to Robbie over TT fortnight as Slick cant build engines and run the Dyno, hence RS being on site
I’d asked Robbie to set up the Flatslides and not the CV’s as they were set up last year and worked a treat. I know last year the FS's were a pain in teh butt but I thought that if they sat in a box for a year then they may be working properly now.
“Robbie” I said. “Do what needs to be done and make it happen”
A few days later and £615 lighter in the butt pocket I had the bike back.

Next job was the fairings.
I managed to hook up with a family friend of the girlfriend (Katie Smith). I gave my colour preference…….er……..Green and …..er………Black please, and the design I just said "do whatever you want". I suppose a statement like that could have tragic consequences as he could have tackled the job whilst full of booze, thankfully Ian only drank before work as he never likes drinking ion the job :gamer (for the record. Ian Smith is not a boozed up spraypainting maniac, he's a top man with a top skill)
1 Week later and they were ready.
Mega top tidy Job (Ian Smith – no relation to Katie) and they look the dogs on the new RMKD fairings. Just need the tank doing now which should be before the S100.

Well I had the bike for the Manx Telecom Post TT races.
To say they never went according to my hopes were an understatement.
In short, I Qualified on the 2nd row after having only two flying laps and then in the race I pulled in after about 2 laps.
When the lights went off for the race, by the tim eI crossed teh start line the last placed rider had passed me. Am not saying it was demoralising or anoying or frustrating or enraging and I want go on bout it but I have to say.................nah, old news an dthats the last of it.

Caus eof teh issue????? Seemed like the bike would not run on 4. It just seemed to want to run on 3 or it was running way too rich. Don’t forget this was after £615 of hard earned cash was handed over for setting the fueling of the flatslides up.

Practice was cut short to only 1 session as we were running on a Sunday seeing as the TT senior race had to be cancelled on the Friday and then it never ran on the Saturday so our race day was the Sunday.
I was going to switch to the CV’s for the second practyice session but alas, that plan fell apart.

Well it was back to Slicks with her now to have a re-fettle.
I got a call from slicks 3 days later with some news.
“Hey bu, (he calls everyone Bu, B or Bu bu) I put the CV’s back on and ran it up....boy she was running like sick pig”
“Feckinel” that was the last thing I wanted to hear!
Slick then piped up “I then threw some new plugs in her though bu, and she’s now running a like French soilder. She’s quick, clear, clean and crisp”

That was the only news I’ve always wanted to hear, not even “Congratulation Mr Jones you have a healthy and beautiful baby boy weighing in a 10lbs 12oz” would have done the trick.
It would have made me giggle a little I spoze, as one that size would have deffo brought a tear to your eye as you squeezed it out….still, not as painful as full on man flu.

So……………I’m giving up with flatslides now and sticking with CV’s………….unless…………… I can locate a pair of full on FCR’s rather than the SP’s.
So, if anyone has a set they can loan me for the S100 and the Manx I’ll give you a few quid and stick your name on my bike.

That’s all I’ll bleet on about this time but I’ll try to rustle somit up after the S100, which starts on the 9th July.

Next Job:
Spray the tank

Next race:
The Southern 100 (S100)

Special thanks to:
Roger Middleton at RMKD for the fairingtastic job he has done on making me fairings that fit and for the engine work and fixing the bits I broke after last years Manx. The guy is a genius and when he tells you something, listen cuz its right.

Ian Smith for a superb spray job, truly is superb. He likes to be paid in Whiskey and beer but I fear that may change as his name gets around as a class act. And I have now seen that he can also Airbrush helmets and teh one that I've seen is again, Quality.

Slick Performance for putting up with my whining and getting the bike back on song.

Katie Smith (the Girlfriend) for putting up with my terrible terrible temper, snappy disposition and generally being an all round grumpy giraffe. Oh yeah, I asked Katie to pass me a spanner so she passed me a socket set. That did test me a little as I was in the process of holding a calliper with one hand whilst balancing a wheel on my foot….and my foot was getting tired and I was ready to rock.

Chris Petty for bringing my bike back to the rock, Cheers fella…and wife, and apologies for never getting up for a cuppa. You did well at the TT though.

That’s it for now folks
Pics of the bike are on face book (Adam Jones)

Happy ZXRing

Jonesy
Tirpitz
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400L4

Re: My ZXR is back on the rock

Post by Tirpitz »

Great stuff. I was disappointed not to see you at the Billown races as I had to sail home on Sunday, so when the schedule was buggered up by the Senior postponement / cancellation I had to miss the races in the south. It was a real pisser as I was looking forward to them and I intended having a wander through the paddock during the practices to say hello.

Oh well, I'll keep an eye out for you again. Are you doing any of the Scarborough races this year?
ZXR400 L4, purple / black / pink
Hel braided hoses
Pirelli Diablos
Ohlins steering damper
A16 carbon fibre exhaust can
Nitron Sport shock
jonesyiom

Post by jonesyiom »

I'm not am affraid Tripitz. This year has cost a small fortune and i've only done6 laps on the old 4. Wolud have been good to say hi. If i had a few extra dollar I'd be over for the Gold cup as its a tidy event.
I heard a tale today that the MGP will remain as is for next year. So if this does not pan out as planned I'll be givin the 4 another wringing next year.
take it easy ab
d look out for the next installment.
Jonesy
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

Good luck with the Manx. Have you got any pics of the new fairing and paint scheme?

I'm not on Bakebook
jonesyiom

Post by jonesyiom »

I've tried to post a few pics but alas....the file is tooooooooooooooo BIG!!! And I'm damned if I can resize them.
Sorry 400y.

How's you enjoying your season so far?
400y
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400H1 GSXR600

Post by 400y »

jonesyiom wrote: How's you enjoying your season so far?

Slowly! :smt001

Need to get used to the "ole slip the clutch and let'er scream"

Getting bogged down a bit off the line and outta road ends but apart from
that enjoying every minute of the 400.
jonesyiom

Post by jonesyiom »

The 400's clutch issue has now been resolved, normal service has now resumed.
Warped steels was teh issue, so when the clutch was pulled in the steels were acting like a big ole spring.
New thicker stack now fitted so all's good to go.
A few footrest adjustments have now been made. This is one thing I have never done before and due to my many years of age a little comfort is required.
Also fitted is a RMKD rear caliper conversion. This was purchased off a forum member, cant remember his name but it's a tidy little number and should at least make me 5mph quicker :tease
Only a few weeks to go now then it'l be "Cargo...can you have a look at this and Cargo...can you have a look at that". Also met a chap at the Southern called Chris ........
He's a new comer at the Manx this year, tunes his own bikes and he tells me that he has an 84bhp, YES 84 BHP I tells ya, ZXR, to rip down Bray Hill on. That'll be an absolute hoot I bet. Good luck Chris and good luck to everyone else.
jonesyiom

Re: My ZXR is back on the rock - 3 days to MGP 2012

Post by jonesyiom »

Well, what can I say about racing a 20+ years old bike......frustrating; that would begin to sum it up.
The engine has been out, it's been stripped down, small niggles have been identified, niggles have been addressed, additional niggles have then been spotted, additional niggles have also been addressed and now and only now is the motor on it's way back into the place where it belongs, the frame...well tomorrow it will be!

The most recent niggle was the Carb inlet rubbers were not sealing as they should so new ones have been ordered - should be here today.

Bigh thanks to:
Cradley Kawasaki - there service is second to none
Roger Middleton - for his advice, knowledge, hints and tips...if only he knew a thing or two about horses
Pete Courser - for the work he has done so far on the engine..top man

Saturday night, all being well I will just run the bike in for a lap, then on Monday I'll attempt to see what it can do.
Heading up the paddock tomorrow to set up.

Roll on Saturday and heres to a safe, enjoyable and incedent free meeting
Jonesy
No 66 in the Ultra Light Weight
No 26 in the Senior and Junior

And as Steve Harley once said "pop up and see me"