Weight

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

zxr500man
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Weight

Post by zxr500man »

128 kg ,Id be interested to know how you achived this???
simon_ed
My Bike: 2 x ZXR400 Race Bikes

Post by simon_ed »

I'd say its pretty easy if you have the money or facility to machine parts, get rid of a lot of parts from standard like an oil cooler, rear torque arm, put a scooter caliper on the back, thin lightweight bodywork and tank......it all adds up, plus replace all the bolts with ally or titanium
zxr500man
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by zxr500man »

I have a zxr 400 h, with an 88 g sump, over 40 ti bolts,no real sub frame, no rear brake at all, 05 zx10 front wheel, er 650 rear ,carbon fiber tank cover, small h model rad(the smallest), alloy everything like ,lowering links,wheel spacers,clock bracket, verry small battery,carbon can,beet down pipes,beet alloy rearsets,carbon air box,,stick coils, 05 r1 calipers, did 520 chain, race sprockets, no over flow bottle,ohlins shock and front are k teck,samco hoses,vortex clipons, brembo mc,brembo pads,I even put a ti bleed nipple on the mc! and with out fairings...... the feicin thing still weighs 145 kg?
I didnt fill it full with water and oil to save on weight,

and I grinded lumps from the frame the I dident need.

145 - 128 = 17 kg :smt017

Iv spent over 5g to date.. I spared nothing.
I think 128 is amazing!
simon_ed
My Bike: 2 x ZXR400 Race Bikes

Post by simon_ed »

It's simple you have a H model not a L, mine is 145 kgs and I've had the frame and swingarm lightened,lightweight tank, lightweight rear disc, and a few other bits, I don't have any titanium bolts it's still got the oil cooler on and the overflow bottle, plus standard battery. It's all about spending money on the right things
zxr500man
L-plate hell
L-plate hell

Post by zxr500man »

Yes,but according to the manuals on this site the l model is 159 kg and the h is 163kg.?

These manuals are very misleading!
mistigri
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by mistigri »

zxr500man wrote:I have a zxr 400 h, with an 88 g sump, over 40 ti bolts,no real sub frame, no rear brake at all, 05 zx10 front wheel, er 650 rear ,carbon fiber tank cover, small h model rad(the smallest), alloy everything like ,lowering links,wheel spacers,clock bracket, verry small battery,carbon can,beet down pipes,beet alloy rearsets,carbon air box,,stick coils, 05 r1 calipers, did 520 chain, race sprockets, no over flow bottle,ohlins shock and front are k teck,samco hoses,vortex clipons, brembo mc,brembo pads,I even put a ti bleed nipple on the mc! and with out fairings...... the feicin thing still weighs 145 kg?
I didnt fill it full with water and oil to save on weight,

and I grinded lumps from the frame the I dident need.

145 - 128 = 17 kg :smt017

Iv spent over 5g to date.. I spared nothing.
I think 128 is amazing!
Yes it is :excited

Next step full carbon Tank!
You can loose a lot of weight with bobywork rear end and batterie ! starter oil rad .....!
Look here there are some good part to save many weight!

http://www.zxr400.net/7assracing.html
brokenbones
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by brokenbones »

Can anyone tell me what are the best options for reducing weight by changing wheels? Is the ER6 rear worth much of a weight saving? What are some of the easiest choices for changing the front? How many kgs can I expect to save changing both wheels? Any help greatly appreciated. :-)
mistigri
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by mistigri »

do you want to ride on the road or on the Track?
brokenbones
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by brokenbones »

Hi misti, great thread this one, weight loss is high on my agenda at the moment. Really appreciate everyone's contributions.

I use my bike on the track only, some might call it racing, others might suggest that description is a bit of a stretch of the sausage :pmsl , still others might suggest that I follow other guys around that are racing.

anyhoo, I'm putting my bike back together after our last parting company - not quite pulling off a high speed corner/overtaking maneuver :smt009 having just purchased a beet ti/carbon can system and a set of flatties I would like to reduce every gram I can, especially my unsprung weight which has high gyroscopic forces associated with it - read wheels.

I am yet to weigh my std. wheels, L model btw. my local wrecker wants one gorilla for two wheels, zx10 front (with discs) and ER6 rear. So I will be getting the scales out b4 parting with my hard earned.

I see someone has fitted R1 front calipers to their zxr, are the bolt hole centers the same for a direct bolt-on to the zxr forks???

any suggestions about an easy lightweight replacement for the rear caliper ?? and that torque rod..... would make a good spreader bar to lift shipping containers, lump of steel that looks more like the boom off a 20t crane than a motorcycle part. :excited