Oil cooler removal

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Dogmot
My Bike: Zxr400

Oil cooler removal

Post by Dogmot »

I've removed my oil cooler like most of you have, my question is do I blank the 2 oil holes up with blanking plates or make it so it still flows round in a full circuit? If I make it a full circuit it's ran at high pressure so what's best way to make a good pipe system? Thanks
Alan P
My Bike: ZXR400L9

Re: Oil cooler removal

Post by Alan P »

There are two schools of thought on this; one is that you can simply blank the holes and rely on the bypass system for the oil to flow and the other is that you should make a pipe to flow the oil through as it was intended. Personally, I always went for the latter as I thought the bypass was leaving too much to chance, but I know others that simply blank them off and I'm not aware they've had any problems.

If you do go for a pipe, I got mine made up for me by Earl's Performance for around £40-50 from memory. I sent them a picture of the underside of the engine/sump and explained what I needed, plus sent them one of the old pipes to the oil cooler so they could see what fitting I needed. They sent me the right fixings and length of hose plus oil seals and I bolted it straight on....easy :) I used it for three seasons and swapped it from one engine to the next several times with no problems.
Dogmot

Post by Dogmot »

Thank you for the reply, I think I"ll get a pipe made up to be on safe side
zxr500man
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by zxr500man »

Another school of thought is to stick a zx4 sump on there.
rccaulfield
My Bike: zxr 400l sp

Post by rccaulfield »

zxr500man wrote:Another school of thought is to stick a zx4 sump on there.
You'd need to swap oil pick ups on that mod! zx4 sump and zxr400 sump have different depths and different oil pick up lengths so careful over time that =BANG!
zxr500man
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by zxr500man »

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Sawzall/SawzallHome.aspx

I got me my sawzall and trimmed it down to spec,works a treat now ,and its just plastic too. :smt003
rccaulfield

Post by rccaulfield »

zxr500man wrote:http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Sawzall/SawzallHome.aspx

I got me my sawzall and trimmed it down to spec,works a treat now ,and its just plastic too. :smt003
Nice one- you mean the oil pick up? I actually bought a zx4 sump on ebay the day after i posted the reply to you, just to see what the difference was in depth of the 2 sumps and cud anything be done, so whats the story, much of a difference? Access ok?
ChowderV4
My Bike: Zxr400L racer

Post by ChowderV4 »

IM starting racing this year on a zxr4 , all the mods are a bit new to me, whats the advantage of removing the oil cooler? And is it an issue if its left on, as mine still has it fitted.
Max4music
My Bike: zx7r / zxr400

Post by Max4music »

No probs with leaving it on. Ive got one race bike with it on, one without.They only real saving is the weight and not having it can make fitting the fairing a little easier if you have to lower your water rad for an airbox scoop.
ChowderV4
My Bike: Zxr400L racer

Post by ChowderV4 »

Max4music wrote:No probs with leaving it on. Ive got one race bike with it on, one without.They only real saving is the weight and not having it can make fitting the fairing a little easier if you have to lower your water rad for an airbox scoop.
Ahh i see, think i'll leave mine on then, less hassle for the start of the season
rccaulfield

Post by rccaulfield »

ChowderV4 wrote:
Max4music wrote:No probs with leaving it on. Ive got one race bike with it on, one without.They only real saving is the weight and not having it can make fitting the fairing a little easier if you have to lower your water rad for an airbox scoop.
Ahh i see, think i'll leave mine on then, less hassle for the start of the season
Absolutely no problem leaving it on, my bikes been on the podium of the tt lwss with the oil cooler fitted, still i'll see what the story is with this zx4 sump and report back what difference i find.
copeyhagen
My Bike: zxr 400

Post by copeyhagen »

bit of a bump on this one, i have 2 engines there, one was from a racebike and has them blanked. im about to put this engine into my road bike, should take the blanks off and put the oil cooler back on? road bike only
Max4music
My Bike: zx7r / zxr400

Post by Max4music »

I'd probably stick it back on for the road. I'm sure you'd be fine for 99% of the time but that one one hot sunny day stuck in traffic for a while might see the oil temp get really very high. Just my opinion but its all just guess work.
stuart42

Post by stuart42 »

Hi

Could someone post a picture of one of these pipes please, just so I've got an idea as to what one looks like please before I try and explain to the guys I use to make my hydraulic lines?

Cheers
Stuart
Dogmot

Post by Dogmot »

I haven't got a picture but I've basically done away with the oil cooler and used the metal piping that flows return and feed oil to the cooler and welded them together to make a solid loop pipe. I've done one track day and one 1.5 hours on dyno with no problems since