tuning zxr sp race bike

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

swadger25

tuning zxr sp race bike

Post by swadger25 »

i have a zxr 400 l sp and going to race it ! wondering about desrstrikers ? exhausts and susspension?? can any 1 help ??
masterofinsanity
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: Aprilia Tuono Fighter

Post by masterofinsanity »

check out the suspension guide on the left in the main menu.
Don't forget people there is more to the zxr400 than this forum... check out www.zxrworld.co.uk also.
swadger25

Post by swadger25 »

yeah thanks neva noticed that before . lot of good info there thanks so wat can i do to derestrik my bike have taken the mph clock off is there a diffrerent cdi or ???
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Bike: ZXR400L3

Post by RedexRobB »

Theres two things you can do, one you mentioned being the CDI, apparently a UK CDI wil do it, or you can get hold of a de-restrictor.
swadger25

Post by swadger25 »

wat one of those mad max thing that plugs in to the clock s ??? where could i get race cdi from?/
richie400ss
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by richie400ss »

don't bother with a cdi. they cost money and mak no useful difference to your power. a uk cdi will give an extra 400 rpm, but as the torque drops off so sharply at these engine speeds, the power is atually lower. ANY l model cdi is good for racing.

there is no such thing as a race cdi don't believe people who say there is.

engine mods are the way to go for power, but remember that you'll need to do your induction and exhaust mods to suit.

speak to a (reputable) tuner
swadger25

Post by swadger25 »

thanks richie
kris-cross

Post by kris-cross »

Ive never read so much crap! :smt018 An L sp has a totally different cdi to the ordinary L model....they limit at 15,300 for starters! and have more electrical gismos in them to alter the ignition timing via a throttle position sensor on the carbs. As for torque and power dropping off :smt017 a good dyno man will move these figures up the rev range to make better use of the close ratio gearbox. STOP!! misleading people 'richie' you obviously dont know what you are talking about!! :smt018
diesel
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: Zx7r

Post by diesel »

no need to be so negative, he is just giving his opinion, as are u. lets keep it civil.
Quicker Than Yngwie

swadger25

Post by swadger25 »

thanks so best to get to good tuner and they can work some magic cheers
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

diesel wrote:no need to be so negative, he is just giving his opinion, as are u. lets keep it civil.
Im not sure why, but the racers get well shirty sometimes :smt019
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by sloweracing »

I would agree my engine would carry on till it blows, we now cut out at 15 thousand but the bike continues to hold a flat line on the dyno

Some off the race bikes will rev to 16 thou but it only holds a line it doesnt drop off or go down i will try to send baz a dyno graph from last year

But if you want to talk to a tuner then give Lawerence a ring and he can tell you what you can get out off a zxr 400 safely made some changes for this year and we are now producing 77 bhp but on the race track dyno ( http://www.dynapro.co.uk ) we are now producing a genuine 70 bhp

Hodson Engineering 01732 463658 for details on all tuning work cars and bikes from just skimming to full race engines
kris-cross

Post by kris-cross »

Yes i would agree Simon the most accurate bhp figure is the race track dyno as it gives you a true figure on the day.
RedexRobB
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RedexRobB »

I just looked at thier website Simon and i didnt realise they were in Tonbridge, thats only the other side of Maidstone. Looks like they do everything for a blue print and rebore for 444cc pistons too.

Cheers for that link, im sure you've posted it before but they are gonna come in handy for my 444 next year!
richie400ss

Post by richie400ss »

oh dear mr kiss koss.

you really do get yourself in a tiz don't you? Single by any chance?

there is NO SUCH THING AS A RACE CDI. there is however an sp cdi as you state. what i meant was don't waste your time looking for something that doesn't exist.

further, a peak bhp is little more than good pub talk. average thrust is the important factor which can be found by integrating the power curve between the limits of the rev range used by the average gear selection.

also, power ALWAYS drops off beyond a certain point. unless you have infintely and automatically variable cam timing. have you?