Race loom Info

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ChowderV4
My Bike: Zxr400L racer

Race loom Info

Post by ChowderV4 »

Looking for some info on what needs doing to make a race loom, im absolutely useless with electrics, so will have the old man help out with the wiring diagram.
Just thought if i have as much info before hand it can only help smiler

So what can i get rid of? If total loss is an easy mod then i'd like to run it without an alternator but is it just as simple as removing the windings and flywheel or will that unbalance the crank?

and help would be great
wes
My Bike: ZXR 400

Re: Race loom Info

Post by wes »

I have a race loom on my race bike and currently fixing up a loom for a spare bike

My race bike has no generator or windings and all ancillary road stuff binned
Leaving just ignition circuit, tachometer and water temp gauge. Still have starter motor and fuel pump wired directly to on/off switch

There is a race loom diagram that's easy to find through Google and you' ll need a blue 100ohm resistor for the ECU to spark as there is an anti-tamper mechanism in the key barrel that's also ditched which will prevent a spark without the new resistor

The loom I have has been cut down but doesn't work so I have been recommended to strip off all tape and start from the ECU and trace the wires. there aren't many left to check.
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

Also does anyone have any photos or info on what needs doing to remove the charging system, can i just remove the windings and rotor and leave it as is or is there more to it?
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

ChowderV4 wrote:Also does anyone have any photos or info on what needs doing to remove the charging system, can i just remove the windings and rotor and leave it as is or is there more to it?
cant help you with photos, but you are correct, just remove the windings and rotor and it will be fine.

i did my race loom and its pretty easy once you start hacking into it.

first thing is to strip ALL the insulation off, then start chopping out the various wires for things you know you dont need (it also helps to print off the diagram, and use a marker pen to highlight the wires you have removed) like the lights/indicators/clock bulbs/horn/brake switches (dont remove the wiring for the oil light if you still want that - i keep mine as it only comes on if the bike is turned off with the battery plugged in...a good way to prevent you from flattening the battery by leaving it plugged in, or if you are low on oil...always good to know).

once you have removed the wiring for the bulbs you can remove the ancillary things like the clutch and starter lockout switches (you can remove all this wiring later if you choose to remove the fusebox - do this towards the end). remove the ignition barrel and hotwire the bike, remove the wiring to the alternator and then remove the fusebox.

a word on the fusebox, you are not actually removing the fuses, what you are doing is removing the relays that control IF your bike should start or not, the fusebox controls all the "master" controls for the clutch and sidestand lockout switches, FROM MEMORY what this basically involves you doing is removing all the wires until you are only left with 2 (i think its the yellow/red and black/red wires), when you hit the starter button it should send a signal to the CDI, the fuel pump and to the starter motor and bypasses everything else.

keep all the wires, they make handy spares if they are in decent nick.

you should be able to fully remove the LHS handlebar controls, i opened up my RHS one to convert me to only 1 throttle cable and i removed all the wires except those for the kill switch and starter, when i get my clipons ill make a custom switch set for these 2.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

there is a wiring loom in the racing manual

http://www.zxrworld.co.uk/Manuals/zxr400r.pdf
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

Thanks a lot for the info, i'll get the diagrams printed off and have a go, worst case scenario buying another loom ain't too expensive if i completely f*** this up haha :pmsl
stuzx4r
My Bike: zxr400sp race bike

Post by stuzx4r »

Hi, where about are you? if your anywhere near me I would be happy to help you with the loom.
I find its quicker and more reliable to just create a new loom ( no horrible old wire)

Good luck.
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

stuzx4r wrote:Hi, where about are you? if your anywhere near me I would be happy to help you with the loom.
I find its quicker and more reliable to just create a new loom ( no horrible old wire)

Good luck.
cheers for the offer but cornwall is a bit far from cheshire :pmsl cheers anyway
Max4music
My Bike: zx7r / zxr400

Post by Max4music »

I would agree that you end up with a much better and lighter loom if you make from scratch (just cut the connectors that you need of the old loom)
ross46
Restricted
Restricted
My Bike: zxr 400 l6

Post by ross46 »

I've got a race loom here I made for my zxr, bike wouldn't start so it's been made to test components, bike does run with it, I made it from scratch with bullet connectors as a test, wasn't difficult, I have a loom thats busted but has all the connectors if it's any use?
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

ive got a loom with the bike thats all working so im just going to make sure all the wires are good and just remove whats not needed