race loom question

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jameswilco1
My Bike: zxr

race loom question

Post by jameswilco1 »

Hi. I did a search but couldnt find what I needed so sorry if its been asked before. Ive got a l6 jap import im turning into a track bike. Ive made a race loom no problem of tbe diagram on here but just had a thought of do I still need the speedo derestrictor wired in or is it ok just unplugged. Ive got the little box that was fitted still so is it just a case of running it from the pink wire on the cdi to earth or just leave it out?

Thanks
ZXR 400 track bike project, Ducati 916, Yamaha WR 400, 2x Honda CB400F, VFR 400 nc30
shaggy69
My Bike: ZXR 400 Racebike

Re: race loom question

Post by shaggy69 »

On my jap import, disconnecting speedo de restricts the 112mph bit. It's two discs in speedo that contact at 112 and cut ignition. No speedo cable, no restriction. The little box only fools the signal from speedo. Easy to try, disconnect cable :)
jameswilco1

Post by jameswilco1 »

Well I dont have a speedo so that shouldn't be a problem. I just dont see why theres a derestrictor box if all you do is unplug the speedo. I thought if you just unplugged it, it still restricted it?
ZXR 400 track bike project, Ducati 916, Yamaha WR 400, 2x Honda CB400F, VFR 400 nc30
rmkd177

Post by rmkd177 »

[quote="jameswilco1"]
Hi. I did a search but couldnt find what I needed so sorry if its been asked before. Ive got a l6 jap import im turning into a track bike. Ive made a race loom no problem of tbe diagram on here but just had a thought of do I still need the speedo derestrictor wired in or is it ok just unplugged. Ive got the little box that was fitted still so is it just a case of running it from the pink wire on the cdi to earth or just leave it out?

You will still need the speedo derestrictor wired in unless you have fitted an 'M' cdi. The usual mod is to have it along side your cdi under the seat. Take the pink wire from the cdi and run it through your 'little box' to earth. There may be three wires on your ' little box' but only two are used...just put your multimeter across the termials to find the two in use...it is only a 10k resistor in there and is non directional.
R.Middleton
jameswilco1

Post by jameswilco1 »

rmkd177 wrote:
jameswilco1 wrote:

You will still need the speedo derestrictor wired in unless you have fitted an 'M' cdi. The usual mod is to have it along side your cdi under the seat. Take the pink wire from the cdi and run it through your 'little box' to earth. There may be three wires on your ' little box' but only two are used...just put your multimeter across the termials to find the two in use...it is only a 10k resistor in there and is non directional.
thats great cheers. To be honest I wired it up earlyer as I thought that would be the case. And thought even if I didnt need to it wont do any harm. And ive wired it up straight out of the cdi and taped the box up in thd loom.

But thanks for confirming in my head I did the right thing in the first place biggrin
Panzermatt
My Bike: zxr400l

Post by Panzermatt »

hi i have stick coils, really want to get rid of old coils, how doi wire them?
cheers.
Meine Ehre heißt Treue
Miles
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR 400 L3

Post by Miles »

Do a search (top right) I believe Mori man did a great guide to this with pictures