zxr race bike non start

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ChowderV4
My Bike: Zxr400L racer

zxr race bike non start

Post by ChowderV4 »

ive got a zxr racer and ive made a race loom following the daigram for it, it started perfect when i first started it ran fine no worries for 20 mins.

next time i went to start it, no spark, then it magically got spark again and started fine.

Again after leaving it, there was no spark again, i replaced the resistor, it got spark back but after leaving it a day theres nothing again.

I dont understand it.

now when i try replacing the resistor it does nothing and i cant get spark, im at a loss here. any help, i have a test day Saturday.
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: zxr race bike non start

Post by banner001 »

maybe you are burning the resistor out (what wattage is it?), get a multimeter across it and measure the resistance, then start checking for continuity. the race loom doesnt have that many wires/connections, it should be easy to track it down.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

i had a 1w 100hms resistor in there, as recommended and ive tried a 5w 100ohms resistor, but now it doesnt make a difference if i change it, it doesnt start.

Im thinking the cdi may be breaking down.

It didnt start all of last night no matter what we did, tried it this morning, it fired up.

20 minutes later tried it again, no spark, wont start.

Unfortunately i dont have a spare cdi to check, im running out of time as im off the pembrey for the NG test weekend tomorrow.
jameswilco1
My Bike: zxr

Post by jameswilco1 »

Is there 12v going to the coils? If there isnt it could be a wiring fault from the switch. If there is it is probably the cdi or pickup.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps
ZXR 400 track bike project, Ducati 916, Yamaha WR 400, 2x Honda CB400F, VFR 400 nc30
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Post by banner001 »

if you are in dire need, and can get to coventry tonight, i can lend you the M CDi from my track bike that i know works, PM me.

are you running stick coils, or coil packs? is the battery good, carbs getting fuel...

even if its the cdi, you should still be able to do continuity checks between the various parts of the loom to make sure you dont have a break anywhere.

are you pulling a plug and testing it to see if it sparks, or are you meaning that the engine doesnt want to fire up? if its not getting a spark test the black wire back to the CDi or the red wire back to the kill switch...could be faulty kill switch?
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
ChowderV4

Post by ChowderV4 »

have traced it down to a intermittent power feed issue , just need to trace the wire thats broken as you can jiggle the loom and it will work in one position, wrap it up and it wont spark.