Ram Air Box removal

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

woodfil
My Bike: ZXR 400

Ram Air Box removal

Post by woodfil »

Hi I have had this ZXR400 for a couple of years but havn't had time to do much with it. Currently stripping it to prepare for this years Manx GP. It has a ram air box. Don't know who supplied it originally. The bottom tray of the box is secured between the inlet stubs and the inlet rubbers. (So the cap screws securing the inlet stubs are inaccessible) There must be a technique to remove it? Any suggestions ?
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Ram Air Box removal

Post by cargo »

I've got one of that style of air box and I've never had a problem with removing or refitting it. I cannot for the life of me picture how the screws are inaccessible. A photo might help
woodfil

Post by woodfil »

See attached photos. The inlet stub screws are underneath the airbox tray. I suppose I could drill or cut away the airbox plastic (glass fibre) to expose the screws but I would prefer not to do that. Someone managed to fit it this way? I tried grease on the inlet stubs to try and pull the tray upwards over the rubbers but felt like I might damage something. Seems like a job for Jonathan Creek!
Thanks in advance. Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by cargo »

I have that exact same air box.
Are you seriously telling me you don't know how to get it off ?

It's a push fit over the inlet stubs so it's a pull unfit to remove it.
woodfil

Post by woodfil »

Yes, strange isn't it. Have now managed to remove without damaging anything. It was trapped solid between the frame and the forward side of the inlet stubs. Had to remove the exhaust and all the engine bolts and lever the engine forward a few mil. Then greased up the rubbers and slowly eased it off. Might as well take the engine out now and strip it. Can see I may need more assistance to know this bike into shape. Thanks Phil