Kent Cams

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

stuart42

Kent Cams

Post by stuart42 »

Hi all

I've been offered a set of Kent cams and wanted to know what gains are to be had from them, and how much they are worth?

Can they be plug and play or do I neede to do more work on the motor to get the best out of them?

Sorry bit numpty questions.

Cheers
Stuart
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Re: Kent Cams

Post by cargo »

I'm sure there would be gains to be had but plug and play they are NOT

I should imagine they have been made to match a particular head and set of cam caps

You would need to check oil clearances

Depending on the lift and duration you will need to check for valve to piston clearance especially if your head has been skimmed.

To get the best from them you would need a good gas flowed head that's been skimmed to raise compression and have it all properly rebuilt, re-timed and measured up.

I've seen stock SP cams go for £350 or so...............very rare now days. I'd guess Kent ones to be similar
stuart42

Post by stuart42 »

Hi Cargo
Thanks for that,I guessed wouldn't be plug & play but wanted to check.
Realised at Southern my bike is well down on power so am looking to do some work over Winter and these were offered to me.
Are you at Manx this year?
Cheers Stuart
shaggy69
My Bike: ZXR 400 Racebike

Post by shaggy69 »

Hey, the kent cams aren't specific to head or cam caps as they are just regrinds of standard cams. They take meat off of the bottom of the lobe and take space up with bigger shims. As cargo says u will need to make sure ur head is standard although even with a 50thou skim should be fine. Just build engine, then check clearance at TDC. They will make decent difference without porting or head work, but will need a bit of fuelling setup afterwards :) Kent also slightly adjust the cam sprocket and weld it on to set cam lobe centres at 105/105. All info is on their website. Bigger shims will be most expensive part.
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I know that Kent cams are stock ones reground but they are still matched to a given head and caps methinks.
I'd still be checking those oil clearances because the potential damage is expensive

Your right that there's plenty that can be removed off a head...............I was amazed at how much was gone from an engine that Roger did for me.

To get the best....................

Yeah I'll be at Manx.............travelling on the 10th in fact I'll be there very early morning on the 10th...............and staying until long after everyone else is gone for a little bit of a holiday. Same R6 and of course a pair of ZXRs
shaggy69

Post by shaggy69 »

Aye but will u be there b4 Bob? Lol.

Kent defo don't touch the bearing surfaces, no one does, they are all off the shelf :)
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Farringtown will fully set up and running long before I get there..................he hated arriving second last year. I was first about 4 hours ahead of him

He's going on the 5th !!!! :excited

And when I told him I was saying until after he had gone home he changed his homeward sailing ....Bob is defo the first to arrive by some distance too I might manage second and Bob will also be the last to leave.

Your right they don't touch the bearing surface but the cams and heads are matched.................they do interchange and I know lots of folks have done just that but I'd measure the oil clearance for peace of mind.

Are either of you Manxing thing year ?
shaggy69

Post by shaggy69 »

It's the cam caps that are matched as they are line bored once fitted to head for alignment, cams aren't matched to them. People change cam caps all the time after they strip the threads for mounting the cam cover, I've never heard of a cam bearing failure other than due to lack of oil lol.

I got knock back from lightweight even tho my time put me 14 th over last 2 years n I got 3rd in newcomers. I have been accepted for two classic TT rides tho...coincidence? Lol

I'll see u over there on the 15th :)
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

Lots of guys got knocked back this year......................funny last year they begged me to enter the Junior cos the entry was so poor. Newcomers couldn't do it.

All I have for sure is a Senior ride...................I'm reserve for Junior and Lightweight. To be honest I think my time is very nearly up.

Have you seen the stupid new rules for pit crew and refueling ?

I've found what I think are the cheapest fire retardant overalls that meet the standard asked for

http://www.hthughes.com/motorsports-rac ... cat_8.html

Balaclavas goggles and gloves are needed too.......................all to FIA spec
A helmet will do instead of the goggles but balaclava still needed underneath
shaggy69

Post by shaggy69 »

Yeah u not see my rants on Facebook? I emailed the ACU and asked a lot of questions lol....

I dunno who is in lightweight race, apart from newcomers lol
cargo
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member

Post by cargo »

I'm off facebook.

I mailed them too specifically Gary Thompson..................they have back tracked.

From some non existent British Standard to an American standard to FIA standard and the back to " so long as it's fire retardant and has collar and cuffs"

And now they have opened a can of worms because people are now questioning the safety of the fillers.

The TT fire that I saw on video was partly the guys own fault and partly the fecking useless fillers.
There is no proper training in the use of the fillers and no training with regard to what to do if there is a fire.
I know for sure of fillers that have to have the valve closed the is NO spring action so if there is a fire and the operator drops the filler fuel continues to flow............................and don't start me on the lycra clad skinny females..............they look like fireworks waiting for the fuse to be lit.

Rant over
stuart42

Post by stuart42 »

Hi all
Thanks for advice.
I'll be at Manx too,just in Classic TT on a Ducati,as supertwin was rejected.
Am loathed to buy any stuff for pit as they've changed their minds 3 times in a week,so who knows what will be next hoop.
See you there and have a safe one.
Cheers Stuart