Identifying cams and pistons

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

neston
My Bike: Kawasaki ZXR400 racer

Identifying cams and pistons

Post by neston »

Could I pick your brains in identifying the cams and pistons in my ZXR400 engine , I last worked on one of these engines about 20 years ago !
The only marks that I can see on the cams are; inlet cam R2 stamped with the number 6 cast on it and the exhaust has R1 stamped with the letter M cast on it.
The pistons are stamped on the underside of the gudgeon pin boss with the number 650049 and the letters JEW cast on the underside of the piston crown.
I will be needing main and big end shells , but as yet I have not found my plastigauge , so cannot work out the sizes needed, the colour has long disappeared from the shells !!! Has anyone found a supplier for these ?

Thanks in advance, Neale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mark400
My Bike: Building an original SP

Re: Identifying cams and pistons

Post by mark400 »

I'm pretty sure you have JE pistons, rings are still available for certain sizes.

Pistons manufactured before 2004 did not have any laser marking and must be identified by another method. If the pistons are in the original box, there is a label located on the side of the box that identifies the job number and the piston part number. If you do not have the original box, try to locate the original JE/SRP invoice.

If you have no documentation for your JE or SRP Pistons, you can mail a sample to JE Pistons to reverse engineer. If you’re sample is followed by an order for a set of pistons, there is no charge for this service. NOTE: If no order is placed, there is a one-time $75 layout fee for this service. Please allow 3-5 days for reverse engineering.

If you would like JE to reverse engineer your piston, please mail a single sample piston, your contact information and a method of payment to:

JE/SRP Pistons
Attn: Piston Identification, Engineering
8 Mason
Irvine, CA 92618
USA
NG Road Racing Champion 2012 400SS
neston

Post by neston »

Thank you for your quick reply, you are right that the pistons appear to be JE make and are standard size, I may need some ring sets ,but at the moment I've not checked the bore or rings for wear.
All the best from Neale.
alanh
My Bike: zxr400 L racebike/R1

Post by alanh »

does only the inlet cam have the allen bolts in for adjustment? appears you have an SP inlet cam and standard exhaust
zxr400L Race Bikes Competing in EDIASIA F400 and thunderbikes with BMCRC in 2016 and an RD125LC MK1 restoration project
neston

Post by neston »

Thanks for your help, the inlet cam does have the elongated holes with allen bolts , so is a SP cam and the exhaust cam only has marked on it R1 and M cast on it, so I guess that's a standard cam. The cam lobes on the exhaust measure 31.40 mm and the inlet measures 31.84.

I have , I hope, attached photos of both the cams.
All the best from Neale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.