Gear leaver shaft seal.

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

zxr500man
L-plate hell
L-plate hell
My Bike: tomos moped

Gear leaver shaft seal.

Post by zxr500man »

Hi, I have a leak from the gear selector shaft.

I belive there is a seal damaged or worn....

Does anyone know how to change one of these?

Many thanks for any advice!
ManxMan
My Bike: ZXR400

Re: Gear leaver shaft seal.

Post by ManxMan »

I surprised no one has answered your question. Seems such a pity that people don't get answers especially with so many very experienced ZXR gurus on here.
What is happening ?

Oh and yes the seal is easy to replace.
Drain the oil
You will need to remove the clutch and the gear selector shaft that goes through the seal. Once the shaft is out of the way the seal can be prised out and a new one fitted. Make sure you give the general area a good clean so has not to let anything get into the engine and not damage the new seal as it goes in. Use a scocket to press on the outer edge of the seal to get it home and in position. when refitting the gear selector shaft seal wrap the splined end with some pvc tape so that the splines don't damage the inner edge of the seal. Some oil on the end of the shaft would help too. Put it all back together and refill the oil. Double up on the job by doing an oil and filter change at the same time.

I stole that from another forum. Hope that helps