RAM air box

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul RF
My Bike: Yamaha R1

RAM air box

Post by Paul RF »

For anyone who has experience in fitting these for a race bike I got a question for you, or maybe a few :pmsl

This is probably a stupide question but how well sealed does the air box have to be between the two halves? I can imagine it needs to be a fairly good fit, this also leads me to the fit between the lower half and the scoop. the one I have has a corner of the opening cut away, when the scoop sits in it I can see daylight through it. Will this affect how the air intake is delivered to the carbs?

Also I have bell mouths for the CV carbs, this is a one piece plastic. This goes on the carbs in place of the top plate so question is, as the top plate fitted snug in the carbs, has seals on the underside and they fit inside each throttle body flush....is the bell mouth ok just kind of partly lined up and not sitting flat on top of the carbs. Mine doesn't fit particularly well, is this normal. there would be airflow under the bell mouths across the top of all 4 carbs so it would be like it was delivered directly down each body as the shape would suggest.

I hope this makes sense....iv'e almost finished a 12 hour night shift :smt015

Also I have heard different opinions on jet size to use which seems to range from 104 to 118 which seems quite a difference to me. What's a good place to start.

What is good for sealing up the air corrector jets which won't be affected by petrol.

Any help appreciated

Paul
Deswilkie
My Bike: ZXR400L, Trumpet 675

Re: RAM air box

Post by Deswilkie »

Once the ram airbox is in situ just go round with gaffer tape to seal it where the two halfs meet.

Araldite in the air correctors is pretty standard, just don't run it for a day or so after.

Think I'm running 112.5 Kehin main's but would need to check. Every engine's different thought so the only way to really tell is get it to a dyno.
Paul RF

Post by Paul RF »

Ok thanks,
I have also got some draft excluder which I will use between the 2 halves and have araldite now.
Any idea on how the bell mouths should sit on the carbs, mainly the slope of the mouth down into the carb body, should it sit flush. Mine is no where near that.
Deswilkie
My Bike: ZXR400L, Trumpet 675

Post by Deswilkie »

I attach mine (RMKD ones) with a bit of instant gasket, they fit in the circular slot around the air intake. Some bolt on replacing the standard plate which you go in place.
Paul RF

Post by Paul RF »

Yeah that's fine but, just they don't fit properly, you know how the original top plate has a notch which also sits in the carb, well iv'e seen bell mouths which sit the same as that. Mine just sit too high so there's a big gap underneath.
if I could figure out how to put a picture on here I would :smt017
CaNsA
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZX6R F1

Post by CaNsA »

http://imgur.com

Drag and drop the image file onto the page, then click "upload"

right click on image and select "copy link url" of "copy link location"

then post the link here.
Moderator & Skilled Ban Hammer Operator!
Has this forum helped you out? Say thanks by donating some of your hard earned cash towards running costs.

:: <=-LOADED TELLY BOXES - NO CONTRACT - NO SUBSCRIPTION - PM ME-=> ::
Paul RF

Post by Paul RF »

Cheers Cansa,
I will give it a try
see if that works.
or this one
Paul RF

Post by Paul RF »

toad a brick it worked lol.

Now is that a bad fit or is it just me, I would imagine it's supposed to sit on that lip in the carb and drop down in that notch as well. cgeek
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

I had some like that with a ramair box i bought a few years ago ..

short silicone pipes of the right diameter bonded to the back of the plate that'll sit into the carbs like the oe bellmouths was what i came up with although i never tried it .. i sold the whole setup and resolved to get a better one later.
Paul RF

Post by Paul RF »

I had thought about cutting the ones from the original top plate and then sitting the bell mouths on top, but would rather get a bell mouth which fits correctly inside of making something which is gash and might fail.
Where did you get your proper ones from Zimm?
zimm
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: ZXR400-M4, ZX4, ZX6R.

Post by zimm »

I didn't ..

I acquired some original F3 kit (air tray and bellmouths) for my H1 and have yet to get a box for my M4, but will probably try pestering RMKD when the time comes.