Complete noob need a few tips please

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Christian555
My Bike: ZXR 400

Complete noob need a few tips please

Post by Christian555 »

Hi. I'm starting a bit of racing in 2017 because I'm going to get weekends off work this year & I normally don't get them off.

I've signed up for racing at anglesey, tonfanau, aintree, oulton and 3 sisters & I hope to get rid of the yellow vest & not fall off.

I'm doing it on a very tight budget & have zero experience but I'm doing it for the experience & to say at least I gave it a go. I'm always saying 'I wish that was me' everytime I go & watch any m/c racing.

Anyways, I plan to buy a rear shock......any recommendations on the best/cheapest? I was thinking Nitron?

GSXR K1/k2/k3 calipers.....do they fit the standard L9 disc?

Do I need to drain my coolant and replace with just water? I've read this & it says its because its slippery if spilt but is this actually a fact & is it checked before a race? If so, what is it replaced with......tap water or distilled water :smt017

Do I only have to lockwire the oil drain plug, oil filter and the oil filler cap? (hope so!)

What tyres do people normally use. Its called formula 400 & has to use non slicks. Someone said Metzeler Racetecs RR......any good?

Lastly, I've taken the wiring back a little but I don't really know too much so it won't be a total loss wiring race loom. Do people get rid of the radiator fan or not? I also need to remove the key but not sure what I'm doing.......can i race with the key still in and electric start?

Thanks if you can answer any questions. Yes I'm doing it on a super tight budget
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting"
"Men with guts attack those corners"
banner001
Track day God
Track day God
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Re: Complete noob need a few tips please

Post by banner001 »

your race loom can be choped sequentially as detailed here, pay attention to the removal of a wire from the alternator and the resistor that you add to the ignition

viewtopic.php?f=125&t=15674

you can put a switch inline with the white wire so you can keep your bike powered "off" when not using it.
UK ZXR400 L3 (1993) - Fully restored and on the roads, my green beast!
JPN ZXR250 A2 (1990) - Revs to 19,200rpm... 'nuff said :smt003
mark400
My Bike: Building an original SP

Post by mark400 »

Anyways, I plan to buy a rear shock......any recommendations on the best/cheapest? I was thinking Nitron?

Cheapest is a ZX6R rear shock, small change to the upper mount, swap the bush from the zxr shock and it fits - Has rebound and compression damping, if you want to be really cool, send it to maxton and have it resprung for your weight and regassed.

GSXR K1/k2/k3 calipers.....do they fit the standard L9 disc?

Yes, but you need spacers as the GSXR Calipers have smaller bolts and the discs don't quite sit central, the spavers look like top hats and are inserted from the inside. I can send you the measurments if you want. I have found the GSR Tokico calipers even better.

Do I need to drain my coolant and replace with just water? I've read this & it says its because its slippery if spilt but is this actually a fact & is it checked before a race? If so, what is it replaced with......tap water or distilled water :smt017

Tap water

Do I only have to lockwire the oil drain plug, oil filter and the oil filler cap? (hope so!)

You also have to lockwire the oli filter - Put a jubilee clip around it and lockwire the jubilee clip to the frame or engine, or even a nearby bracket.

What tyres do people normally use. Its called formula 400 & has to use non slicks. Someone said Metzeler Racetecs RR......any good?

Pirelli Diabolo Supercorsa 120/160 are the best choice as they are under constant development for World Superstock 600. Choose SC2 rear, and SC1 or zero front. Some seasons half the races are in the wet, so make sure you have spare wheels with discs and wets, and that the discs are straight !
I bought a set of WoW ( wets on wheels) with discs and it started to rain just before we went out - So I shoved in the wets and found out on the warm up lap that the discs were so warped I couldn't stop properly, let alone race.

Lastly, I've taken the wiring back a little but I don't really know too much so it won't be a total loss wiring race loom. Do people get rid of the radiator fan or not? I also need to remove the key but not sure what I'm doing.......can i race with the key still in and electric start?

Yes, you can race with the key in and the electric start working, I used to lockwire the key in every morning so I didn't lose it ( also done that before)

Remove the fan, it weighs too much, but always watch the temperature when you are stationary. i.e. in the holding area.

The charging / starting system is heavy. You could remove it all including the starter motor, you will need to machine a bung to fit in the starter motor hole - or You can keep everything, but do consider a lithium battery, it saves over a kilo. The alternator is a set of windings held into the casing by three allen bolts and two for the cable, but also a spinning rotor on the end of the crank. This also has it's own tiny oil feed hole, so if you remove the rotor, then you MUST block off this hole ( small alloy drift tapped in) of you will sieze the end crank bearing, as the pressure will drop.

Feel free to post anything you're not sure about,

Regards,

Mark
NG Road Racing Champion 2012 400SS
Christian555

Post by Christian555 »

Thanks banner for the wiring drawings & thanks Mark for that.

I phoned Maxton who told me they no longer refurb suspensions...only sell their own & therefore i've decided i'll purchase a zx6r & install it as it is.
The Maxton one will be on a wishlist for now.

If you could send me the dimensions of top hats Mark, I'd appreciate that as I got some cheap gsxr calipers off eBay.

For now I'll remove the fan with the intention of removing other things such as the charger in the future. Hope to get some done this weekend as I work away from home during the week.
mark400

Post by mark400 »

rsz_img_0649[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mark400

Post by mark400 »

Also just noticed that Ant van Looy is selling his SP shock on Facebook for £150, normally I wouldn't buy a standard shock for racing, but this one is a bit special, and if you ever saw his laptimes.........

I think he's "mindlock" on here...

yes, just checked and he is.
mark400

Post by mark400 »

Also have a look at this guide by Tom Vear :

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/NGRRC% ... E6wThiBeTQ
Christian555

Post by Christian555 »

Thanks for those dimensions. I'll get on it. I've messaged the guy about this shock so I hope I'm not too late & that link sends me to facebook, I log in & then is says your request could not be processed.
Check out this Anthony van Looy on FB also. Looks like he flies!