Suggestions for track bike project

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Dumont11
My Bike: ZXR400 L4

Suggestions for track bike project

Post by Dumont11 »

Hey,

I am planning to build a track bike.

The parts I already have for the project is as follows.
Standard L4 Engine minus Head, Standard Carbs, Standard Forks, Standard Yokes, Standard Bars, Standard Subframe, Stock Loom, Leavers and some boxes I still need to sort through.

The parts I know I need are as follow.
Frame, Swingarm, Rear Suspension, Wheels, Brake Lines, Calipers, Reservoirs, Engine Head, Throttle, Clutch Cables, Rearsets, Airbox(Maybe K&N Cone Filters instead?), Tank, Fairings and grips etc. (Might have missed a couple things)

I plan to use the fully stock engine but remove the gears (2nd gear is fubar) and replace with short ration gears (My mate has the ZXR400 Short Ratio Gears to sell me). The engine currently doesn't have a head so I will need to buy one. I plan to use a stock head, stock valves and Kent Cams.

The loom is currently completely stock. I am unsure whether to completely strip it just yet (Not done a loom before). I plan to get a tune able CDI, unsure on which one at the moment.

When it comes to the rolling chassis, I need the frame, wheels, swingarm and rear suspension. I am unsure whether to use the stock rear suspension or not. I am not sure what my options are and what the price difference will be. I will use the stock swing arm and wheels. I will use standard sprockets and chain.

I will need all new brakes. Discs, Calipers, Pads, Brake Lines etc. I plan to go stock with this however if there is better for roughly the same price, I will use them.

Carbs, I will use the standard carbs and set them up for the track. I am still debating whether to use an airbox or just cone filters. Ram airbox is also an option.

I will use a standard tank, track fairings (unsure which yet), rearsets, standard bars.

It will take me a while to build as I am going to have to buy parts as I get the money and have a L4 on the road which will take all priorities. I am open to all recommendations. I may have missed stuff out, I would really appreciate your insights to make this better (considering I cant make it too expensive). I may buy a donor bike to help speed things up and reduce the costs.

Thank you
- Dan
KawasakiGirl90
My Bike: ZXR400L2

Re: Suggestions for track bike project

Post by KawasakiGirl90 »

Following this post....also interested in suggestions!
dc1989
My Bike: kawasaki zxr400

Re: Suggestions for track bike project

Post by dc1989 »

You are gonna be better off by getting a donor bike, for sure
all of the parts that you don't have, will come to thousands if bought separately .... even if the donor bike is rough as hell, you will be way ahead of the game still.