Racing an 89sp

There seems to be more and more members appearing that are racing the ZXR400 so i've created a special section just for you to show off results, discuss meets etc etc.

Moderator: Moderators

marti
My Bike: tomos moped

Racing an 89sp

Post by marti »

Hi all,
I am thinking of buying an 89 sp to race in forgotten era and ss400 next year, i was thinking of leaving the motor std, for reliability but adding a full system and ramair.[who do you recommend?]
A knowledgable mate informed me that when he raced one back in the nineties he suffered several blow ups and that parts were hard to get.
the bike was well maintained, what do you think?, its not my idea of fun rebuilding motors prematurely.
Thats quite a bit for a first post!!!
marti
Gemini
cloning technology
cloning technology
My Bike: CBR1000RR4 Fireblade

Post by Gemini »

i spose it comes down to how competitive u want to be in regards the standard engine.

speed normally comes at a price which is normally impaired reliability. at least they are jap engines so they are strong. there are mods which are relatively easy to get done which dont push the boundaries, so maybe u could start with them? as u progress u could always develop the engine a bit more

all i can say about parts being hard to come by is bolx! but i could be wrong, being that the zxr was the only official uk 400 i personally would have thought there are many freely available parts out there

gem
There's No Explanation For The Way I'm About To Behave!!!
sloweracing
zxr400 oc member
zxr400 oc member
My Bike: tomos moped

Post by sloweracing »

I race a zxr 400 with Bemsee in the superbikes 400 and have never in the 4 years blown a motor

So i would say dont use your mates tuner :smt003

Parts are evey where from race to road

Check out my website below for all your parts and tuning

http://WWW.SLOWERACING.CO.UK